The Strangest Thing RRS feed

• Question

•  

After the update I began having problems beginnning with my registered homeserver.com name being unavailable to me mere seconds after I reconfigured.  No, it was not a livenode address.  

Since then I have had all kinds of problems with the server like the server grabbing multiple IP's from my Dlink router, at one point I counted ten,  failed backups and unexpected shutdowns of the server.  Things got to the point where I decided to back up the files I had been consolidating on the server to a non pooled drive, with the expectation that I would need to wait for some kind of SP update. 

While reviewing the Event logs I noticed that I had seen a Bad block warning on one of the data drives.  At one point I ran a checkdisk and thought it was resolved but the problems noted above continued.  I was all set to replace the data drive with the problem but was uncertain of which physical drive in the machine was the bad one since two of my data drives are identical.  I shut the server down, pulled a power cable on one of the drives and rebooted.  I went to Disk Management and noted the free space of the remaining identical drive (since I added the second drive later on the used/free space sizes were different between the two).

Good.  I powered down again, reconnected the power cable and powered back up.   But here is where things get really strange.  The system dumped the entire backup database and storage space was freed up on the pooled drives reflecting that.  Here is the Event Viewer message: "Backup Server is deleting its database because a disk containing one or more of its files has been permanently removed."  

The WHS console was now telling me to run repair on one of the drives, (which it had never done before), which I did. 

Would you believe that everything is now back to normal?  With the exception being that there are no backups of the household pc's and a new twist on the domain name issue.

I can now access my server via my old registered homeserver.com name but the console is still displaying the new name I registered when I finally gave up on the old one.   

I still want to keep my old domain.  When accessing it the browser once again reflects the certificate issue (which oddly now displays the newer domain).  Is there anyone out there who can help me with this?

Paul

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Without knowing what your old domain was - it could be difficult. 

The Windows Live team is asked/required to manage a list of "reserved words" that cannot be used in HomeServer.com domain names.  Some of these reserved words are company names, some are to deal with profanity, and others are hard to explain.   You many have run into an issue where you old domain was registered prior to the check for the "reserved words" was implemented, and when you go to re-register you can get caught and are asked to register anew.

Additionally, new "reserved words" can get added on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply T. 

My dname doesn't seem to fit the criteria you described.  Is there a less public way I can post it and get a determination?

Paul

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:28 PM
  • You can send your name to whsforum@microsoft.com

I will pass the name onto him.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Done!

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:57 PM