Optimal/Practical/Minimum Specs for Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I've got WHS up and running on a fairly low end PC (1.6GHz P4 with 512MB RAM and two 200GB drives).  It seems to run OK--does the nightly backups and performs fine when multiple users are accessing the same mp3 files.  Has any done benchmarking to see what additional RAM or a faster processor or a cached controller will do for performance?

thanks.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:23 PM

Answers

• You meet the specs for running MHS. The performance will be affected mostly by your network speed and how fast it can move the files for backup. Increasing RAM or dropping in a faster CPU won't make that much of a difference.

Remember a server does nothing that move data back and forth. We don't need those screaming frame rates we gotta have for gaming.

Courtney

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:30 PM

All replies

• You meet the specs for running MHS. The performance will be affected mostly by your network speed and how fast it can move the files for backup. Increasing RAM or dropping in a faster CPU won't make that much of a difference.

Remember a server does nothing that move data back and forth. We don't need those screaming frame rates we gotta have for gaming.

Courtney

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I am afraid that I will have to disagree with you to a certain extent.

I believe that when you reach a certain level of hardware specs, that what ever you do after that will sort of be a waste. As an example upgrading from 1 gig to 1.5 gig of ram on an xp machine. You wont even notice it, but if you upgrade from 512 to 1 gig, it will be the difference between night and day.

Do you think that a P4 1.6 with 512 of Ram is sufficient to do all things that you want the server to do? Now, I am not suggesting that the machine wont run, In fact I had a P3 866 with 512 working, but it was working like garbage.

There are a few things that you need to keep in mind.

1st, this new drive extender technology uses up a crazy amount of CPU. I think that it has been identified as a bug, but regardless, it has a lot of work to do. My dual core 2.8CPU runs non stop at times (mostly at the beginning)

2nd, Memory, WHS is still a fairly large operating system, do you really think that 512 is enough for you to do all that you will want to do today and tomorrow. Multiple file access, file duplication, Virus protection and scans, backing up additional Clients, remote access from friends and family. These whole or in part will or can be operating at the same time.

3rd, expectations. What is it that you want this machine to do for you? If your goal is to simply have a file server then yes, 1.6 with 512 could be sufficient. BUT, if you are an enthusiast and really want to use this thing for all its worth, then you need to build the machine with that in mind. This suggestion goes beyond file storage, Chip, FSB, memory, NIC and storage are all things to consider.

Just remember one thing, that this server will become in the very near future, the central hub for all media in the home. At some point, it will need to become a fairly powerful machine in order to complete with out lag any task that is asked of it.

For what its worth. :)

Dawg.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Whit my Hardware i can install WHS?

Pentium 4 2.8 HT /1GB DDR2 Dual Channel /160GB Sata 1 /Video Nvidia 6600 256MB/1 Nic GIgaLAN

Best Regards

Manuel Moreno

Sunday, March 25, 2007 4:17 PM
  • >Pentium 4 2.8 HT

No problem

> 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel

Very good

> 160GB Sata 1

No problem but keep in mind that :

- you will need a second drive for data duplication

- for Beta 2 the primary drive MUST be the bigger one

> Video Nvidia 6600 256MB

More than enought (if you have an video chipster on your motherboard use it, it won't make a difference - appart from the slight ram used)

>1 Nic GIgaLAN

all good.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 4:54 PM
  • I understand chip, memory, and storage considerations.  Can you elaborate on the FSB and NIC considerations?

Cap
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:45 PM
  •  C.A.P.T. wrote:
    I understand chip, memory, and storage considerations. Can you elaborate on the FSB and NIC considerations?

Cap

For sure,

FSB stands for Front Side Bus. It is simply the speed of which your motherboard works. The older P4's would have a 400Mhz FSB, then it went to 533, 800 and now 1066. Faster is always better.

NIC is your network interface card. 10/100Mbs has been the standard for a few years now, prior was a straight 10Mbs, Now you will see 1GBs. Just remember, the 1Gbs NIC's will only work if you have the infrastructure in place for it, ie. 1GBs router, switch, NIC card, ethernet, etc.

10/100 is fine. The original post had stated that he was using a 10Mbs hub, which definitely needs to be upgraded to 10/100,

Dawg.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 1:18 AM
  •  The Dawg Fadder wrote:

FSB stands for Front Side Bus. It is simply the speed of which your motherboard works. The older P4's would have a 400Mhz FSB, then it went to 533, 800 and now 1028 (I believe). Faster is always better.

For WHS the FSB will hardly ever be a bottleneck. All memory intensive tasks need to be fed by or output to the network or hard drives.

Monday, March 26, 2007 5:10 AM
  • I agree..

Dawg.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 2:18 PM