E-machine motherboard died RRS feed

• Question

•  

The motherboard on my e-machine died.  E-machine wanted $190 plus shipping for a new motherboard, so I purchased on locally for $60.  The version of XP Home that came with the machine was a Ghost image for the old motherboard.  Of course the Ghost image will not boot with the new motherboard.  E-machine will not provide me with anything other then the Ghost image.  I would like an OEM version of XP Home to do a fresh install on the computer.

Is there anyway to get an ISO image that my product key will work with?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:51 PM

Answers

•  

Davidgror,

You can try this technique; it has worked for me countless times.

Borrow the CD that comes with a systembuilder/OEM license kit for the edition of XP you have, XP Home.  Use this CD to run Setup and install XP Home.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, use the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that is on the eMachines computer---DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the CD.

Once XP Home is installed, do NOT try to activate over the internet, instead, select Activate my Product using the Telephone.  Follow the prompts, and if the automated system rejects your attempt to activate, choose the option to speak with a live Activation Support representative.  Once talking with the rep, explain that the motherboard failed on your eMachines so you had to use a generic XP CD combined with the genuine Product Key on the eMachines CoA to get XP installed because the eMachines recovery CDs did not work with the new replacement motherboard.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:05 AM

All replies

• If Windows XP was preinstalled by eMachine and you
    did not replace the defective motherboard with the exact
    eMachine replacement, your eMachine OEM version of Windows
    XP is not going to activate since it is looking for the eMachine BIOS.
    All you can do is to purchase a conventional "Full Version" of
    Windows XP and proceed with a "Repair Install".

A preinstalled OEM version of Windows XP cannot be used
    with a different type of motherboard.  The license is tied to
    a specific motherboard model and BIOS and cannot be transferred.

System Locked Preinstallation:

Used by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), System Locked Preinstallation (SLP) uses information stored in the computer BIOS to protect each installation from casual copying. No communication by the end customer to Microsoft is required. At system startup, the operating system compares the computer's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, no activation is required. Conversely, if there is no match, Windows cannot be activated.

Product Activation and new pre-loaded PCs: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Visit newegg.com for a good price for an OEM version of Windows XP.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:21 PM
  •  

Davidgror,

You can try this technique; it has worked for me countless times.

Borrow the CD that comes with a systembuilder/OEM license kit for the edition of XP you have, XP Home.  Use this CD to run Setup and install XP Home.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, use the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that is on the eMachines computer---DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the CD.

Once XP Home is installed, do NOT try to activate over the internet, instead, select Activate my Product using the Telephone.  Follow the prompts, and if the automated system rejects your attempt to activate, choose the option to speak with a live Activation Support representative.  Once talking with the rep, explain that the motherboard failed on your eMachines so you had to use a generic XP CD combined with the genuine Product Key on the eMachines CoA to get XP installed because the eMachines recovery CDs did not work with the new replacement motherboard.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:05 AM