Do not reject rows where "The lookup reference could not be resolved" RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes a lookup cannot be resolved, which is - at least in my case - a situation that should not lead to the rejection of the entire row.

e.g.: i'm trying to import contacts. contacts have a custom lookup "assistant" (references another contact). My source data provides the assistant's email address - if this address is found, the contact is created. If not, the entire contact is rejected. In my opinion, it should be imported & the "assistant" lookup should be left empty.

Does anyone know if this is possible using the crm import manager?

Thanks in advance
    Jan

• Edited by Jan_Klode Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

I think it makes sense that the record is rejected if the lookup reference cannot be resolved because sometimes it is better to prevent corrupt data than to fail & retry. If in your case it is OK if the assistant is not resolved then this is what you can do:

1. Import the entire file (some records will be rejected)
    2. Go to the import job and select "Download Failed Rows"
    3. Remove the "assistant" column from the file exported above
    4. Import again the failed records but this time without the "assistant" column.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

While importing you can igonre the assistant lookup field it will be left as blank on that lookup field.

If you filled value in that assistant lookup field means before that you want to import the assistant entity records.

Thanks & Regards, MS CRM Consultant, V.Surya. My Blog: http://inventcrm.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi Jan,

I think it makes sense that the record is rejected if the lookup reference cannot be resolved because sometimes it is better to prevent corrupt data than to fail & retry. If in your case it is OK if the assistant is not resolved then this is what you can do:

1. Import the entire file (some records will be rejected)
    2. Go to the import job and select "Download Failed Rows"
    3. Remove the "assistant" column from the file exported above
    4. Import again the failed records but this time without the "assistant" column.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

i agree that this makes sense in many cases. Yet its somewhat inconsistent that the mapping of an owner provides an perfect fallback to the current user if the lookup fails. It should be possible to choose the desired behaviour for lookups:

1) Skip row if lookup fails 2) Ignore field if lookup fails

Anyway, thanks for your reply :)

Regards
    Jan

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:26 PM
  • You can also submit your suggestions / feedback to Microsoft at connect.microsoft.com

Please don't forget to mark the thread as answered if the solution(s) provided work .

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:57 PM