SharePoint and CRM Databases on Same Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to deploy CRM 4.0 on our intranet.  CRM itself will go on a Windows Server installation that is one of several on a linux rack mounted PC.

The question is where should I put the database.  I know the Microsoft Planning guide suggests that you do not share your CRM database with another application database, but my coworker is suggesting I do, regardless.

Option 1: Put the CRM and Database both on the same virtual PC running on the linux rack mounted PC.  My coworker is concerned that we already have multiple virtual PCs on this system and that it will be too bogged down.

Option 2: Put the CRM on the linux virtual PC.  Use our main domain/active directory server for the database.  Our main domain server is our main file server and is running our SharePoint database (not the SharePoint application itself).  We are using RAID 5 on it.  My coworker believes that it is being under-utilized so this is appropriate.  This computer has two Xeon 5120 Dual Core (1.86 GHz) and 16GB of RAM.  We have approximately 25 employees.  I know that if I bring down SharePoint or this server in general that it will be a big issue.  However, if the only risk is reduced performance and I can easily pull the DB off then I will be less nervous.

Any thoughts on resource issues of running SharePoint and CRM databases off the same server?
    • Edited by Matt Puskala Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:56 PM clarified Server Hardware
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• If you want, you can begin by putting SQL on the CRM machine and if you notice performance issues you can move it to another machine.   I make this suggestion becauseiIt appears that affecting Sharepoint or appearing to affect Sharepoint is something you want to avoid.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt

Although the CRM IG suggest do not to share the CRM DB with others application, depend on many factors  for example, how many CRM users you have, how many workflows execute your CRM processes. If your implementation is small (up to 10 users and some small workflows process), to put all in only one VPC is quite enough (your Option 1). I recommend what that VPC it must be at least 3GB RAM.

In other hand, if you're plannig a full use of your CRM Implementation I recomend you the option 2. I have seen a lot large CRM Implementations sharing an SQL Server in Cluster with a lot other applications working with a very nice performance.

About resources issues, i have seen in some environments that use too much workflows process, running bulk asynchronic operations (like sending massive emails from CRM, or bulk delete) or having to much (millions) of contacts. In this case the CRM DB grows up exponencially and is probably you would need an dedicated CRM DB engine.

I hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by Jimmy Morales Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:48 PM
  • I had a MSCRM databases on the SQL which had about 10 different Sharepoint (MOSS 2007) DBs. The problem it shouldn't be on CRM site (25 users is not so big unless you don't have any huge logic behind). From my experience Sharepoint can slower down whole SQL server rather MSCRM.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:33 AM
  • If you want, you can begin by putting SQL on the CRM machine and if you notice performance issues you can move it to another machine.   I make this suggestion becauseiIt appears that affecting Sharepoint or appearing to affect Sharepoint is something you want to avoid.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:47 PM