Drive extending RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible like in XP to add a drive to the current drive and just extend it I have home server installed on a smaller drive and just had time to install a 200 gig drive i have and it will not add it to avalible storage

which just seems silly if you can add multiple drive and like i see everyone saying it will not use it instantly  it will just copy data later to the other drives this has to be a real  issue why not make it possible to  mount a drive to extend the size of d would be a good work around but it does not allow it as of yet

I see my only recourse is to put 200 gig as primary and reinstall system this is going to be a real pain if you keep adding larger and larger drives they say maybe it will be addressed This is a major bug you should be able just to add drives and have a choice where to add it server backup or server storage for user files music photo ect that would be the best for all concerened

THanks guys it runs fine but this issue is a real drawback

ROb

Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:41 PM

Answers

• This is the entire purpose of the "drive extender" portion of WHS. You install a new drive, go into the WHS console, and go to Server Storage.  Locate the new drive, right click on it and select Add.  This will add the additional capacity to the "D:" drive.  Internal drives are automatically added to the storage pool for backups/shared folders.  External drives can be made available as either backup/Shared Folder storage, or as just an available drive.

If you're not seeing this behavior with the Drive Extender, file a bug.

Friday, April 6, 2007 12:17 AM
  • Doug, I believe he's talking about using dynamic disks and spanned volumes to expand the primary data partition and avoid the problems a too-small system disk can cause.

So the answer is really that WHS sets up all disks as basic disks, which don't support spanned or fault tolerant volumes. It may be possible to turn a WHS disk into a dynamic disk and then expand the primary data partition onto another physical disk, but it would be an unsupported modification. We've been warned that anything we do in Disk Management has a high probability of hosing up DE in some fashion.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 2:12 AM

All replies

• This is the entire purpose of the "drive extender" portion of WHS. You install a new drive, go into the WHS console, and go to Server Storage.  Locate the new drive, right click on it and select Add.  This will add the additional capacity to the "D:" drive.  Internal drives are automatically added to the storage pool for backups/shared folders.  External drives can be made available as either backup/Shared Folder storage, or as just an available drive.

If you're not seeing this behavior with the Drive Extender, file a bug.

Friday, April 6, 2007 12:17 AM
  • Doug, I believe he's talking about using dynamic disks and spanned volumes to expand the primary data partition and avoid the problems a too-small system disk can cause.

So the answer is really that WHS sets up all disks as basic disks, which don't support spanned or fault tolerant volumes. It may be possible to turn a WHS disk into a dynamic disk and then expand the primary data partition onto another physical disk, but it would be an unsupported modification. We've been warned that anything we do in Disk Management has a high probability of hosing up DE in some fashion.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 2:12 AM