none
Feedback on the Forums RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft made a classic mistake with these forums.  They decided to program their own, when they really knew nothing about forum software, and did not have any great experience with it.

If you had used vBulletin, these forums would be 100x better - more stable, more functionality, easier to use, more flexibility and options, etc...  But instead, Microsoft decided to program their own, which left us with something that is buggy, minimally functional, has almost no options, and lacks even the most basic of options that people who use quality forums have come to expect.

I would suggest that you scrap the code being used for these forums, and use vBulletin instead.  And no, I'm not trying to do product placement for them - it's simply that vB makes the best forum software out there that I've seen.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:32 PM

All replies

• Hmya, they have a history of doing this.  They knew nothing about word processors when WordPerfect was king.  Or spreadsheets when Lotus 123 was on everybody's desktop.  Or virtual machines when Java became the programming language of choice.  Version 3 was always the "now we got it right" version.  This forum software version is 4, but it is really 3.  Afaik 1 was Community Server.  Renumbering back to 1 from that, 1 died a spaghetti death.  2 died a perf death.  3 is not nearly as bad as 1, but that's an easy win.  If only they could master the post editor and the queue.

But, no, vBulletin sounds about as unworkable as Telerik's post editor in 2.  Or the never-ending Passport/Live login problems.  You need a one-stop-shop to deal with bugs.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Hmya, they have a history of doing this.  They knew nothing about word processors when WordPerfect was king.  Or spreadsheets when Lotus 123 was on everybody's desktop.  Or virtual machines when Java became the programming language of choice.  Version 3 was always the "now we got it right" version.  This forum software version is 4, but it is really 3.  Afaik 1 was Community Server.  Renumbering back to 1 from that, 1 died a spaghetti death.  2 died a perf death.  3 is not nearly as bad as 1, but that's an easy win.  If only they could master the post editor and the queue.

But, no, vBulletin sounds about as unworkable as Telerik's post editor in 2.  Or the never-ending Passport/Live login problems.  You need a one-stop-shop to deal with bugs.

Hans Passant.

I don't see why vB is unworkable.  It would give them a far superior product.  You'd have significantly fewer bugs in the first place.  And if there are problems, the vB devs repair them very quickly.  And aside from that, vB is viewable source, which means that MS could edit the source code and fix it themselves, if they wanted to delve into it.  I see only advantages, and no disadvantages with this option.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:17 PM
  • I think it is good Microsoft creates their own forums software. But why do they have so many forums? MSDN, TechNet, Microsoft Forums  plus newslists and sure there are bugs and annoyances too in the software though quality should be quite high. Also thread categorization could be a lot better. And I would like that there was some empty space in the end of every page so that I could raise text from the bottom of my screen to the middle.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:09 AM