none
General ?s RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening,

We have a number of PCs and laptops at home.

Does this software allow you to handle the users on the network?

Can you control the internet access for users thru it?

Can you tell it what users can do on PCs? example. installs, change desktops and such.

what makes this different then setting up a Windows server Pc and having the other PC clients attach to it?

Thanks

Deasun

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• You should look at the information available on, and through, the Microsoft Windows Home Server site . It will tell you a great deal about the product, both tehcnically and in terms of how people actually use it.

Note that it is not an enterprise tool, or a replacement for Small Business Server or Windows Server 2008. It is an excellent supplement to those in a small business, and can often be pressed into duty in a microbusiness as the sole server. But home use is the focus of the product, and Microsoft doesn't see things like Active Directory (and roaming profiles, domain policies, etc.) as part of that vision.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deasun Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:55 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:17 PM

All replies

• You should look at the information available on, and through, the Microsoft Windows Home Server site . It will tell you a great deal about the product, both tehcnically and in terms of how people actually use it.

Note that it is not an enterprise tool, or a replacement for Small Business Server or Windows Server 2008. It is an excellent supplement to those in a small business, and can often be pressed into duty in a microbusiness as the sole server. But home use is the focus of the product, and Microsoft doesn't see things like Active Directory (and roaming profiles, domain policies, etc.) as part of that vision.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deasun Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:55 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Thats what I thought. Interesting SW though.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:35 PM