Cannot install WHS Home Connector ... can't locate server is my error message. RRS feed

• Question

• Took me  a little while to get the OEM installed and up and running. Now I can't connect to the network, which was not an issue before with the Trial version.

Running Home Connector on my laptop cannot find the server and won't install.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,
    did you check in device manager on the self built server, if you have the network adapter drivers installed in your fresh server installation? Without those you won't find it, and you don't get a warning if those are not there.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by SoFlaGT Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:48 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:36 PM

All replies

• Before you can connect to your server you will have to get Windows Home Server to connect to your network.  The best way is to leave DHCP as the default for getting the network address on your Windows Home Server.   Then from your Windows Home Server verify you can ping your router and then also ping a few hostnames on the internet i.e. google.com bbc.co.uk etc

Then you should be okay to install the connector software.
    --
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Hi Tom,
    did you check in device manager on the self built server, if you have the network adapter drivers installed in your fresh server installation? Without those you won't find it, and you don't get a warning if those are not there.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by SoFlaGT Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:48 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Olaf --

Wie gehts? 

The network drivers were not installed. Downloaded them and now everything works!

Vielen Dank!

Greetings from Florida ... Tom

Ich war drei jahre lang in Osterholz-Scharmbeck stationert.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:54 PM