Cannot open Microsoft Money 2002 RRS feed

• Question

• When I tried to open My Money 2002 files, I was unable to access them.

If I download the free Microsoft Money, will I then be able to get to my old files?

I only use Microsoft Money to keep track of both my Visa entries and my credit union entries (both connected with my credit union).  I find it valuable for tracking old purchases, etc.

Monday, January 3, 2011 5:02 PM

All replies

• When you try to open Money 2002, what happens? You may need to restore your newest or second newest backup, or you may need to reinstall Money 2002 -- depending on symptoms.

If you are using a US version of Money 2002, and you want to use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, you may have to go thru an intermediate step. If you are using a US version of Money 2002, you would want to download and save two particular files in case you want/need to use them later.

Monday, January 3, 2011 6:19 PM
  • I too cannot log into my Money 2002 Deluxe, first I get this message; "Money has detected that you did not close the file "My Money" before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now? If you click No, you'll need to open a different Money file." No matter if I click Yes or No I get this message; "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again." It also states that if I know the credentials are correct to "Check Server Status," which I have done to no avail. 

Can someone provide some advice? I'm frantic to get it back. Thanks.  

Monday, January 3, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I too cannot log into my Money 2002 Deluxe, first I get this message; "Money has detected that you did not close the file "My Money" before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now? If you click No, you'll need to open a different Money file." No matter if I click Yes or No I get this message; "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again." It also states that if I know the credentials are correct to "Check Server Status," which I have done to no avail. 

Can someone provide some advice? I'm frantic to get it back. Thanks.  

1. Copy your *.mny and *.mbf file to other media such as a USB flash drive. That will protect you in case your drive fails or if you accidently overwrite something.

2. File->Restore your most recent or your second-newest *.mbf. Rather than restore to the "default location", I would Browse to your Documents folder, and make up a new name.

There are other posibilities, such as file repair, if you do not have a suitable backup file.

Did you actually have a Passport (email address style credentials) on your file? If so, that would be a reason to upgrade to Money Plus Sunset, if your Money is a US version, so you could get rid of that Passport.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:49 PM