Unable to connect to WHS2011 Server when installing the Connect Software on Win7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been using Windows Home Server V1 and Vail Beta/RC since their first release's and kept them updated to the latest versions backing up 4 Systems every night. WHS has saved me many times using Restore. When Windows Home Server 2011 Final was released I wanted to install the Trial Version before purchasing the Program Key. 3 of my systems (2-Win 7 Ultimate's and 1-Win 7 Professional) installed the Client Connector OK and the 4th Win 7 Ultimate will not let the Connector install and backs out of the install with a error window displayed. I have searched all of the Feedback and WHS Fourm Sites and have not found a solution for this one system's failure and I notice there are many others with the same connect failure with no solution! A list of the troubleshooting steps that I have tried and failed are listed below:

1. Disabled Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials on the Client and Server.
    2. Preformed a Clean Boot on the Client with just Microsoft enabled.
    3. Uninstalled the current Microsoft .Net4 Updates and all previous versions on the Client - Did not run the .Net Cleaner. On Connect Reinstall the Connect version of .Net4 installed itself OK on the Failing Client - Did Not let the Current Update run and install.
    4. Removed the HKLM-System-CurrentControlSet-Current-SessionManager-PendingFileRenameOperations Key from the System Resistery.
    5. Restarted the 2-Windows Media Center Services on the Client.
    6. Removed the left over and incomplete Client System Backup Settings from the Server Console and tried to install again.

Preforming the previous steps allowed the Connect Installation run until the final Connect Error Prompt Window was displayed when the Client was tring to connect to the Server; then it failed and errored out - then proceeded to backout of the installation and stopped without an Error Code or Explaination of why the installation failed! VERY BAD FAILURE REPORTING with NO HELP AT ALL! !  !
    I can't find any other Fixes that are listed in my searches. WHS 2011 Vail won't let me go back and install the Version 1 Connector back in to the Clients - so I have No Backups for this Client that has ~ 2TB of Programs and Data - HELP - - - Shorto

Attached: are the Log Files and Screen Shots for this Client and Server in a WHS 2011 Waynes Install Errors.zip File

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:08 PM

All replies

• Which trial version are you trying to install?. I could be wrong but I am not aware of any RTM trial version.

Only a guess but possibly the connector will not install and connect to the server as the software has expired.

There is no reason that you cannot un-install the WHS 2011 connector software and re-install the V1 version and connect to the old V1 server. I have done it many time during beta and rc testing.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:49 AM
  • @Frogz1 - Hi Dave

I had been running both the V1 and Vail Beta versions for many months so I could compare the New Vail against the original WHS v1. One thing that I had to do to get both Backups runnung at the same was to install the Vail Connector First - then install the older V1 connector over Vails Connector - Vail wouldn't install over the old V1 connector software! When the New Final Version of Vail was released - I downloaded the Trial and installed it in the Vail Box. I have 2 Homecooked Boxes that I use for Backups Only and as I stated above WHS has saved my A$$ many times before on my 5 other Systems - so I won't run without a WHS Backup! After installing the Final Vail the old V1 Connector software won't install on the Clients and this one last Client won't install the Vail Connect Software. I am running the New Final Vail Trial on the Grace Period to test it out before purchasing the New Version Product Key. Because the old V1 Connector won't install over the New Vail - then I am not getting any backups for this one Win7 Ultimate system and Thus is My Problem. The Final Vail Version is available in the stores now and Newegg.com has it listed @$99. Also I am having trouble with the External Server Backup Feature saving copies of all the selected folders! !  ! - - - Shorto

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:03 PM
  • On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:03:33 +0000, ShortoW wrote:

I had been running both the V1 and Vail Beta versions for many months so?I could compare the New Vail against the original WHS v1.
    ?One thing that I had to do to get both Backups runnung at the same was to install the Vail Connector First - then install the older V1 connector over Vails Connector
    ?- Vail wouldn't install over the old V1 connector software!?When the New Final Version of Vail was released - I downloaded the Trial and installed it in the Vail Box. I have 2 Homecooked Boxes that I use for Backups Only and as I stated above WHS has saved my A$$ many times before on my 5 other Systems - so I won't run without a WHS Backup! After installing the Final Vail the old V1 Connector software won't install on the Clients and this one last Client won't install the Vail Connect Software. I am running the New Final Vail Trial on the Grace Period to test it out before purchasing the New Version Product Key. Because the old V1 Connector won't install over the New Vail - then I am not getting any backups for this one Win7 Ultimate system and Thus is My Problem. The Final Vail Version is available in the stores now and Newegg.com has it listed @$99. Also I am having trouble with the External Server Backup Feature saving copies of all the selected folders! !? ! - - - Shorto

A couple of things here:

1. Having both the original WHS and the WHS 2011 connectors running on the
    same client computers is never going to be supported so you should give
    that effort up right now.
    2. There is no trial version of WHS 2011. If you've downloaded and
    installed something from the Connect web site, that is either one of the
    betas, or the release candidate, it is most definitely not a trial of the
    final version of WHS 2011. The only "trial" version of WHS 2011 is an
    online walk through
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx

The bottom line is that no one here is likely going to be able to help you
    as your problem involves a totally unsupported configuration with
    pre-release software.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.  -- Leonard Brandwein

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:18 PM
  • @Paul Adare

The Final Vail version that I have Installed originated from MSDN (I Think) and I am running on a 28 day non-Activated State. The download can be located on the Win7Vista.com Site.

File Name: en_client_restore_disc_windows_home_server_2011_x86_x64_cd_658475.iso
    Date Published (UTC): 4/5/2011 9:20:57 AM Last Updated (UTC): 4/5/2011 9:20:57 AM
    SHA1: 86B6F394B232230D1F9A4097B24757F9A12C7FC4 ISO/CRC: BDF9654D

File Name: en_server_install_disc_windows_home_server_2011_x64_dvd_658487.iso
    Date Published (UTC): 4/5/2011 9:20:53 AM Last Updated (UTC): 4/5/2011 9:20:53 AM
    SHA1: A01A33EB26DE2A3E91C9C0371B549977173725F3 ISO/CRC: A1DFDE39

******************************************************************************* 

I have been searching and poking around and found another good link to this problem. Adding my Vail Server IP Address to the Clients Host File didn't correct my connector install problem; but I think it is pointing me in the right direction! For good information - See the Link - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/3cd94e47-7aab-48fe-8589-3aaef62f97ec 

and Link - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea - - - Shorto

Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi All
         I followed David's suggestion for a workaround using the link to "Task Scheduler corrupt tasks". I had 2 corrupted tasks on this problem computer that I deleted, also I cleaned up all of the many duplicated tasks that were in the Task Scheduler! The 2 corrupted tasks were "Background Config Surveyor:" and the Windows Server Task "Backup_on_idle:". I removed the problem computer out of the Backup Window in the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard and cleaned up the Log File Folder. Ran System File Checker from an Admin Command Prompt and the system was OK. I had to delete the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations" Setting from the Registry again. Cleaned computer files and Registry using the CCleaner then re-ran the Connector Installation again and the Connector Installed OK on this System - Oh Joy! !  !
    The Error Window displayed during the Connector Installation is USELESS and I have spent weeks tracking down this problem. WHS version1 was Bullet-Proof and if the WHS 2011 Vail Program is to Succeed - It's Got to be FIXED - I would like to buy the Program Key and use Vail for my Backups, but for now I will just Extend the Grace Periods for Non-Activation and wait for a Functional Release - Fortunately for us, the 28-day grace period can be extended up to three additional times — to a total of ~112 days — using a Microsoft-supplied utility called the
    Software License Manager (slmgr /rearm - in the Admin Command Prompt).  - Regards - - - Shorto

Link to the Microsoft Connect Site for information in the full Troubleshooting Theard. 

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/676539/unable-to-connect-to-whs2011-server-when-installing-the-connect-software-on-win7#tabs

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:30 PM
  • I had similar problems.  Finally found a registry setting that gets left over from previous connect failures.  When I removed it, the connector install worked.  In regedit.exe search for "Windows Home Server 2011".  Delete any occurances.  This helped me on several clients that were getting stuck on the install.  Hope it helps you.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Thanks for the input pgt32450. I know this Connector Installation Failure and the Reported Error are driving many people CRAZY. The WHS2011 Development Team really needs to clean this software up! This Backup Software should not require a Teche Type of a person to install it! !  ! Like I said before WHS v1 was Bullet-Proof and I started using it from the Beta Version. - Regards - - - Shorto
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I was happy with my WHS 2011 installation until this morning when Dashboard and LaunchPad kept reporting something like, the Server is offline, do you want to work offline.  So I uninstalled the connector software.  Now the connector software will not install, saying it cannot find the server.  One user reported solution was to use the registry editor to remove any occurrence of Windows Home Server 2011.  I found a Windows Server and Dashboard... I am reluctant to delete.  Home users should not have to use registry editor.  With WHS V1, never!   
    Del Thibodeaux
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi Del

The "Server Offline" prompt is displayed when you try to connect to the WHS Server and its IP can't be found on the Local Area Network (LAN). There are some things you can do to re-acquire the WHS Server.

1. Down load and run the new "Find my Server Wizard" program from Microsoft. Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23621

2. Can you ping the Server and locate it successfully using the Command Prompt? If you can then it is communicating with the LAN. Take note of the IP address and add it to the Host File (C:\%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts) using Notepad that has been opened in Administrator Mode (follow instructions in the Host File).

Then run the WHS 2011 http://<ServerName>/connect again to reinstall your Connector Link.

Hope this solves your problem - - - Shorto

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Hi Del

The "Server Offline" prompt is displayed when you try to connect to the WHS Server and its IP can't be found on the Local Area Network (LAN). There are some things you can do to re-acquire the WHS Server.

1. Down load and run the new "Find my Server Wizard" program from Microsoft. Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23621

2. Can you ping the Server and locate it successfully using the Command Prompt? If you can then it is communicating with the LAN. Take note of the IP address and add it to the Host File (C:\%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts) using Notepad that has been opened in Administrator Mode (follow instructions in the Host File).

Then run the WHS 2011 http://<ServerName>/connect again to reinstall your Connector Link.

Hope this solves your problem - - - Shorto

Another way you can overcome this issue is to add the server to the client's "HOST" file

Just add the IP address and the server name and the client can always find the server.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I will try to be patient answering this :

1- WHS-2011  will be called SERVER

2) Local PC is "client" .

Somehow , the fast answers seem little to do with the questions and after spending most of today following every lead in here (even the HOST file entry, which is something you did back in 1999- leading edge crap. look at the location)

So 1st. I never had any beta copy of the WHS-2011 - didnt even know about it , with the exeption of the copy that came in the Hewlet Packard Home server. A good deal came around a server box and a HONEST TO GOODNESS PAID FOR copy of WHS-2011. The deal turned out to be not so good, since I have bought yet a different server, a brand new router certified by MS (ASUS RT-N56U) and every day is a different problem. Connecting 3 boxes including the server in the network was a cinch all I did was to give the server a static IP. ALL and ANY DOS diagnosis will show the boxes by IP and name. That is from the router and from any other box SO my network is solid (with one slightproblem which doesnt bear in this discussions).

Today, after having a kapniption in the AM I went and reinstalled the whoeole WHS-2011 (of the DVD with its lovely serial number and it registred beatifully) As the installation was ending I noticed something peculiar. 57 Priority updates and 7 optiotional updates were shown  and the installation recommended the priority updates be performed. I found that 47 priority updates on Windows 7 and WHS seemed excesive and in the fine print I read"

"These updates include all updates that should be installed in your client PC" Yes possible since I never update a client machine knowing full well something will blow up. BUT on this instance I said what the hell.

The MOST eerie of the updates were about 6 explicitly done on .NET 4 and for some unknown rewason 3 on .NET 3.5 ?!

After about 2 hours of this, with all my boxes showing and available in my network . The server loading perfectly fine and diagnostics on both Windows 7 also showing NO problems. I take the plunge and try the "http://<servername>/connect and god all mighty I get a .NET error . the "Catch all error" that someone whos been programing with .NET for 3 weeks  would miss . This comes along with the "This is a genetic .NET error , if you want more details edit the The WEB.CONFIG.file (this is a basic as .NET gets!)

This is the error

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>
    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

This stupidity LITERALLY was akin to the autoexec.bat  of DOS- why is this raising its ugly head HERE!? 

THAT is an error that goes back to .NET 1.5 but WHS-2011 is throwing it.!

Logically .NET 4 is being used in Windows 7 and WHS-2011 are triggering some crap on .NET 3.5 (on the local PC) that must have been updated when this global update took place. This goes beyond amateurish programming , this is thievery. Some MS genious decided to repurporpse a 3.5 function on the local machine (most likely as a test) and that shit made it to production. So at this point I SEE why I do not know anyone running WHS-2011, reliably , solid and bullet proof. IT JUST AINT. Just call MS with ANY questions related to WHS-2011 and youre scalated to a 3rd layer support guy who ADMITS they have very little information on the prooduct. God damn it, is Windows 1.0 all over again. The same 2,500 work arounds from MS which make NO sense at all since they conflict on every other way. Try the Connector Troubleshoot 1.1 (that was released with the HP Home server) which a few KB articles mention as a solution to OUR problems, well you will always get an error cause it does not work on WHS-2011. So the axioum that was born with Windows 1 , is still true NEVER buy a MS product until it hits Vs. 3

Lets consider ourselves lucky. You should hear the horrors with the MAC connector!

BILLY boy come back these idiots need you and Balmer is a fat egotistical, greedy idiot who keeps OUTSOURCING code to (wherever is cheaper)

Okey here I go to remvoe all of the IMPERATIVE updates and re-install WHS-2011 for the 5th time.

• Edited by HForcelledo Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:39 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Although you do not see this in any official MS docs , the MHS-2011 "Unleashed" author is adamant that the Server MUST have a static IP (not an easy thing to explain since all routers have a diff flavor) . The author comes with two ways and he does in a very strange manner. He explains the first in a brain twisting  2 page novel and below he has a

"Note:" You could also do it "this way and it will work the same.

LOL Actually it was funny cause I didnt try the first homongous walkthrough. Since I set the server with a static IP I have never lost it again. Another idea I found (on my own) that locks the IP to the server name is disabbling IPv6 and if you do NOT dissable it make DURE you have i ALL entries blank.

I dont vouch for the rest of the book cause I havent been past page 12 wich has references to page 136. (just bad practice)

Another point he makes is the supposed need to keep the Server time zone set to PST.. Seems that was a bug in a beta version but it is no longer an issue. 

• Edited by HForcelledo Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:56 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:55 AM