none
Should I pursue MCITP even though it is being phased out? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had a few questions related to MCITP, and I am really hoping someone can help me. I've searched all through the forums, here and elsewhere, and can't find a clear answer.

I recently passed 70-685 and I am currently studying for 70-680 (Configuring Windows 7:MCTS).

Question 1.
    If I passed 70-685, is it likely I would have the knowledge already to sit 70-680, as presumably 70-685 builds off of 70-680? I am currently studying and running my own virtual set-up at home, but it currently seems very similar to what I already know/have learned.

Questions 2.
    It appears Microsoft are phasing out 70-680/70-685 by the end of July next year. Is it still worth me pursuing MCITP through 70-680, or should I focus my energy elsewhere? My understanding is that MCITP automatically gets converted to MCSA without any further exams (currently). Is this correct? Enterprise is still installing/running Windows 7 so presumably they still need people qualified in configuring it?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Regarding your questions:

1. You may or may not have all of the knowledge/skills to pass 70-680.  The best recommendation would be to get the latest study guide and work through it, and the related questions.
    2. 70-680/685 doesn't appear on the exams to be retired page.  Most corporations are adopting  Windows 7, so having the MCITP for Win7 will be of benefit.  Many corporations have indicated that they won't be adopting Windows 8.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:43 PM
    Answerer
  • If you look here you can see there will be an upgrade path to MCSE Dektop
    Infrastructure. So it does make sense to get your windows 7 certification. It is
    still valuable among the community and it will help you to upgrade to the next
    certification level. As long as there is still a need for a technology then the
    certification is still valid. also I would not assume you have the knowledge to
    pass 70-680 just because you passed 70-685. Although they are both Windows 7
    exams they have different objectives and requirements.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse-desktop-infrastructure.aspx

Here is a link to the skills measured for 70-680

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-680&Locale=en-us#tab2

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:58 PM

1. 70-680/685 doesn't appear on the exams to be retired page.  Most corporations are adopting  Windows 7, so having the MCITP for Win7 will be of benefit.  Many corporations have indicated that they won't be adopting Windows 8.

Thank you both for your replies.

In terms of the point above, the exams are listed for retirement here.

They may not show up on the "Exams to be Retired" page as I believe that page only shows exams to be retired within the next 12 months. So 70-680/685 should appear on there at the end of this month.

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:08 AM
  • I was a little confused by this thread initially, so, fearing the imminent retiring of the Windows 7 exams, I went to Microsoft’s certification site to seek clarification.  

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

What I discovered is that it’s the MCITP certification (MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7) that is being retired, not the exams which make up the certification (Exams 70-680 & 70-685). So come July 31, 2013, this MCITP certification will be retired, but the 70-680 and 70-685 exams for Windows 7 will continue.

According to Microsoft’s website, extended support for Windows 7 will end on Jan 14, 2020. Assuming that the Windows 7 exams might be discontinued approximately one year before the end of extended support, Windows 7 exams, including 70-680, will probably still be offered up to the end of 2018 or so.

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:09 PM
  • To answer your question directly , of course its worth learning and taking the Windows 7 exams . As pointed out many companies are still in the process of upgrading to windows 7 , and this trend will continue for some time.

MCP|MCSA|MCSA+M|MCSE|MCTS|MCITP|Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate 2008|Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert:PC

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:11 PM