none
HP mediasmart server ex470/ex475 RRS feed

• Question

• I have HP MediaSmart Server EX470/EX475 being used for a small office
    of 4 users. The software windows home server connector that
    runs on network PCs give all network users the ability to browse
    shared folders on HP MediaSmart Server and perform an immediate backup
    of their computer but also gives them the ability to monitor the
    status of HP MediaSmart Server and the status of other users as well.

I would like each user to have access only to his/her files, alerts
    and reports without him/her being able to see other users. How can I
    do that?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in the 'Windows Server TechCenter > Windows Server Forums > General 'located here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threads

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by SachinW Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:47 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hello,

The purpose of Windows Home Server Console is to give the owner Administrative rights over all users sharing  data files, media files, shared folders, etc.  If you want to share only certain files and folders to certain users you must create individual user accounts for each user.  While creating each individual user account you will be prompted to select which shared folders each user should have access to.  You can select each individual user to have Full, Read, or None (in regards to access).

The backups should be scheduled by the administrator and can be scheduled after hours when there is the least network activity and decreased overhead with office PC's so as not to affect PC and office application performance.  You can read more about how to configure you MediaSmart Server to run with optimal performance by using 'help' in the upper right corner of the MediaSmart Server Console.

HP also has some good reference material online.

Hope this helps!

Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:18 PM