backup and hub pc RRS feed

• Question

• I had trouble setting up my backup using my laptop as the hub so I made my pc with the backup device on it the hub and was able to backup the 6 pcs in my one care circle.  I'd like to use my laptop as the hub PC, will I mess up my backup settings by changing it?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:12 PM

Answers

• You can change the destination for your backups, but I suspect that means that you will be starting all new backups for each of the PCs.

By the way, you should only have 3 PCs in a Circle as each PC is activated with a LiveID for a subscription that can only be for up to 3 PCs. So, for 6 PCs you need 2 subscriptions with 2 LiveIDs, hence there would be two distinct Circles. If you are using more than 3 PCs on a subscription I can't guarantee that this will continue to work.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

• You can change the destination for your backups, but I suspect that means that you will be starting all new backups for each of the PCs.

By the way, you should only have 3 PCs in a Circle as each PC is activated with a LiveID for a subscription that can only be for up to 3 PCs. So, for 6 PCs you need 2 subscriptions with 2 LiveIDs, hence there would be two distinct Circles. If you are using more than 3 PCs on a subscription I can't guarantee that this will continue to work.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I'm not trying to change the destination of the backup, just use a different PC as the hub.  I do have two subscriptions but I don't have two separate circles setup.

Thanks,

Dan

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Sorry about that....you can make any and all PCs be hubs in your circle.

Are all of the PCs in one Circle and seen on one hub? Then they are all activated on the same subscription.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:21 PM