CRM 4.0 to 2011 Upgradation queries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am planning for an upgradation from crm 4.0 to 2011. Now as per the CRM 2011 Implementation guide there are 3 options from upgradation.

Upgrade options:
    There are three different upgrade options:
    • Migrate by using a new instance of SQL Server. We recommend this option for upgrading from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011. Although this option requires a different computer for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Server and a different instance of SQL Server, it provides the least amount of potential downtime for Microsoft Dynamics CRM users since the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 deployment can remain functioning until the upgrade is completed and verified.

I would like to opt this one as it is having the less downtime. Now, I am having few queries on this.

If I choose this kind then,

1. Is there any impact on the existing 4.0 server? Does it upgrade anything on this?

2. As per the doc, "it provides the least amount of potential downtime for Microsoft Dynamics CRM users since the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 deployment can remain functioning until the upgrade is completed and verified."

How long does CRM 4.0 exists? Do we need to manually remove 4.0 from the existing server, if we feel 2011 is working fine and 4.0 is not needed anymore?

-Thanks & Regards

Perfectionist
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft DynamicsCRM supports only native mode of deployment of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services. If you have deployed Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services using any other mode, such as SharePoint integration mode, then you can not use SSRS instance with CRM.

If you are already using SSRS in SharePoiint integraiton mode then i would suggest you to create a new instance and deploy CRM reporting extensions over it.

Thank You,
    Jehanzeb Javeed,
    http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please find the answers below to your questions:

1. Is there any impact on the existing 4.0 server? Does it upgrade anything on this?

Answer) Offcource not on the exsisting 4.0 server, it will be running fine as you are upgrading CRM 4.0 on a different Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Server and a different instance of SQL Server but you have to prepare the replica of your exsisting 4.0 deployment into the new server and SQL instance before starting upgrade.

2. As per the doc, "it provides the least amount of potential downtime for Microsoft Dynamics CRM users since the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 deployment can remain functioning until the upgrade is completed and verified.

Answer) Yes but if users will be using the CRM 4.0 system during upgrade to log cases, enter leads etc. then how will you migrate the new data into the CRM 2011 system? or you may have to suggest users that they can use the system till upgrade only for inquiring data.

How long does CRM 4.0 exists? Do we need to manually remove 4.0 from the existing server, if we feel 2011 is working fine and 4.0 is not needed anymore?

Answer) Yes you have to manually remove the 4.0 applicaiton from exsisting (old) server and database from exsisting (old) sql instance se if it will be sucsessfully migrated to CRM 2011 on new servers.

I hope this answer your quesitons.

Thank You,
    Jehanzeb Javeed,

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".

Monday, May 30, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Hello Javeed,

Thanks for the clarifications.

So, If I go for a different instance of SQL and diff. CRM server then I need to create a replica myself. This is what I needed as I was thinking that installations itself does that thing.

Then, instead of creating a replica, I can install a clean version of 2011 and import the 4.0 database on to it. This seems to be done easily and I believe it upgrades to 2011 during import of organization but, I am not sure of the impact. Any idea on this?

-Thanks

Perfectionist
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

You have to create the replica by yourself and yes you can install Dynamics CRM 2011 on a new server, restore CRM 4.0 database into new SQL Server instance with the same name as it is used in CRM 4.0 and then import CRM 4.0 organizaiton database using CRM 2011 Deployment Manager and it will upgrade your implementaiton form CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011.

This is a supported migraiton methodology by Microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg197663.aspx, After import i woukd suggets you to perform full system testing to make sure that upgrade has performed successfully.

Thank You,
    Jehanzeb Javeed,

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Javed,

I have an existing reporting server which is being used for sharepoint. Can I use the same reporting server for CRM 2011 also? 

Will it create any damage to the existing sharepoint reports?

Perfectionist
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft DynamicsCRM supports only native mode of deployment of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services. If you have deployed Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services using any other mode, such as SharePoint integration mode, then you can not use SSRS instance with CRM.

If you are already using SSRS in SharePoiint integraiton mode then i would suggest you to create a new instance and deploy CRM reporting extensions over it.

Thank You,
    Jehanzeb Javeed,

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:09 AM