Music share in Windows 8 client RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows 8 Release Preview on two computers (one in VMWare workstation on Win7 host, and one on an Acer W500 tablet). On both machines, when I add the Homeserver Music share to the Music library in Windows Media Player, I cannot see the WHS music, either in WMP itself or in the Metro Music application. But I do not have this problem with the WHS Photos or Video shares.

I should add that these Win8 machines do not have the WHS connector installed, but my wife's Win7 laptop does not have it installed either, and it is able to use the WHS Music share in WMP.

My main question is why the WHS music share is behaving differently from the Photos and Video shares? Is this a bug in Windows 8, or could it have to do with WHS?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• I have installed Windows 8 Release Preview on two computers (one in VMWare workstation on Win7 host, and one on an Acer W500 tablet). On both machines, when I add the Homeserver Music share to the Music library in Windows Media Player, I cannot see the WHS music, either in WMP itself or in the Metro Music application. But I do not have this problem with the WHS Photos or Video shares.
    I don't know what was the problem with my Windows 8 Release Preview installation, because the WHS Music share is working correctly on Windows 8 RTM, both in Windows Media Player and in the Windows 8 Music app.

However, the Windows 8 Photos app will not display networked content, a known problem that unbelievably is not fixed in RTM.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:07 PM