Unable to Install WHS Computer Restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the WHS Home Computer Restore CD installation package from the MS Downloads site (restorecd.msi Version 1800 07/21/2008) but am unable to install it to create the restore iso image.  After the install begins I receive the message "Cabinet file 'cis.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used.  This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the  CD-ROM or a problem with this package"

The options given are Cancel, Retry and Ignore.  Retry results in the same error.  Ignore results in the installation terminating with error code 2350.

I have tried the installation on three PC's, two (2) running WinXP Pro (SP3+) and the WHS (SP2).  The method I used to attempt the install was to right-click on the .msi file and select install.  The installations have been attempted with the msi on the local PC.

Per the ReadMe.txt file in the Restore CD directory the restore iso in that share is outdated and it directs me to do the above.

I have a PC that has taken a hit on the C: Drive and must be restored.  It apprears to me I can't do that because of the above.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so were you able to resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:38 PM

Answers

• I would try to download it again.
    Windows Home Server Team
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Friday, October 31, 2008 9:08 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Hello,
    if you continue to have problems with the downloaded file (even after downloading again) another method would be to perform following steps (given you are somewhat familiar with handling of computer hardware, otherwise forget this way):
    • Remove the broken disk from first client PC.
    • Attach that disk as secondary drive to another PC, either using the internal connectors of the PC or an USB-SATA/IDE adapter cable.
    • On the second client, open the folder Program Files\Windows Home Server on your system drive and run the program ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    • This program allows you to select also the volumes on the second disk as target of the restore operation. (Be aware, that selecting the wrong target partition may overwrite the wrong volume, so check twice, if the selected disk is the one from the first client.)
    • After restore has been completed, put the disk back into the first computer.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Friday, October 31, 2008 9:09 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:04 PM

All replies

• I would try to download it again.
    Windows Home Server Team
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Friday, October 31, 2008 9:08 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Hello,
    if you continue to have problems with the downloaded file (even after downloading again) another method would be to perform following steps (given you are somewhat familiar with handling of computer hardware, otherwise forget this way):
    • Remove the broken disk from first client PC.
    • Attach that disk as secondary drive to another PC, either using the internal connectors of the PC or an USB-SATA/IDE adapter cable.
    • On the second client, open the folder Program Files\Windows Home Server on your system drive and run the program ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    • This program allows you to select also the volumes on the second disk as target of the restore operation. (Be aware, that selecting the wrong target partition may overwrite the wrong volume, so check twice, if the selected disk is the one from the first client.)
    • After restore has been completed, put the disk back into the first computer.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Friday, October 31, 2008 9:09 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:04 PM
  • To T. Headrick and Olaf Enqelke, thank you!  It took three downloads to get a clean copy but once I did the install was successful.  In retrospect, I guess the warning I was about to run software from an unknown publisher should have been the tip off :-)

Again, thanks

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:11 PM