Restore backup after disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed WHS and am planning how I will do backups.
    If i setup some shaves on the server, how do i configure backups in such a way that i can recover the data when the server disk fails.
    I see how it works with individual workstations conntectd to WHS since the whole computer is backed up. If the disk on one of those computers fail, i simply restore the computer.
    It seems that "server storage" is one glob of storage that is used by backup and shares on the server. So, it is not clear to me how to seperate the shared data from backedup data.

thanks for your help group.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:36 PM

Answers

• I have just installed WHS and am planning how I will do backups.
    If i setup some shaves on the server, how do i configure backups in such a way that i can recover the data when the server disk fails.

The network shares and the backup database are 2 totally different pieces of WHS and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  There is no backup of the backup database built-in, which means if you lose any drive that has even a portion of the backup database, you will probably lose your entire backup database.  You can do it yourself by following the directions in the WHS Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief, or use the BDBB add-in.

I see how it works with individual workstations conntectd to WHS since the whole computer is backed up. If the disk on one of those computers fail, i simply restore the computer.
    It seems that "server storage" is one glob of storage that is used by backup and shares on the server.

Correct.

So, it is not clear to me how to seperate the shared data from backedup data.

You can't.

thanks for your help group.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:42 AM