Add a new hard drive to a Windows XP SP3 PC and install as dual boot (WHS / XP)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a P4 1.8GHz pc about to become "nearly" redundant. It is an XP machine and I would like to maintain the capability to run the XP set up occasionally as it has software and related files I don't really want to install again elsewhere.

So can I install a new hard drive (e.g. 1TB) and then tell WHS to install on that drive. Also tell it to leave the other drive alone in the install.

Not sure if this is possible?  Advice please
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:23 AM

Answers

• No, you can not install Windows Home Server in a "dual boot" configuration. When you install WHS, it will take control of, and format, all storage in your computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mel P Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:10 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:10 AM

All replies

• No, you can not install Windows Home Server in a "dual boot" configuration. When you install WHS, it will take control of, and format, all storage in your computer.
    • Marked as answer by Mel P Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:10 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:10 AM

Ken, so if I install WHS on a box with three 320GB HDs, it is going to wipe all three drives?  If the answer is "Yes", can I remove two of the HDs, install WHS and then add the two unplugged HDs?  I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.  I have a lot of data/media on the drives and I'm hoping not to lose everything by installing WHS...
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Adding disks to the storage pool will at any time wipe these disks, so you need to move the data out before. Simply attaching the disks after installing to the server will not automatically format them, until you add them to the storage pool, but you will have to copy the data to the shared folders via UNC path (not locally to d:\shares!).
    I would recommend to accquire one larger disk (1 TB disks are not that expensive any more) and install WHS on either a 320 GB disk or on that drive.
    So you can attach the other disks to a client and copy the data over from there.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.  That was a bit disappointing to learn...I have not yet purchased an OEM copy of WHS - I am just looking into the possibility.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:08 AM
  • I responded once but forgot to "submit" before ticking "mark as answer.

Thanks again Ken (you helped me when I first set up WHS on a PIII machine.

I guess I will just leave the XP HDD in the machine and install WHS on another HDD - and manuallt swap as boot discs.

PS  - I am ordering a SATA 1TB HDD and I have an older 80GB IDE HDD - can I install WHS on the 80GB drive - avoiding the need to laod SATA drivers - something I have never needed before - do they come with the HDD???

Thanks, Mel
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Yes you can install on the IDE 80GB drive first. For the SATA drivers, it depends on your hard drive controller (usually included with the motherboard drivers). If yours has a BIOS option for RAID/AHCI, then you'll need the drivers. If its set on IDE legacy mode, you should not need them.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:10 PM