Re- activation of windows vista. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, jst built a new computer, installed windows vista home basic activated it over the phone as my modem drivers need to be installed via windows.. was jst rebooting after installing my gfx card drivers when it displays message teeling me that it neds to be re-validated and please re-enter my product key connect to the internet to re activate or operate in reduced facility, (soz cant remeber proparly.

well, the operate in reduced facility doesnt owrk, jst takes me back to the same menu.

obviously i cant connect to the internet because no drivers for modem. and it will now not accept my product validation key i got over the phone. PLease help!!!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hello gregorscotland,

If I understand correctly, Vista is a) asking you to re-enter your Product Key and b) asking you to re-Activate.

When you re-enter your Product Key and try to Activate by Phone, Vista will not accept the confirmation number that is returned to you, over the phone.

Is that correct?

If so, please reboot Vista, and when the pop-up window comes up:

1) click "Access computer with reduced functionality"

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) A window with a black background will appear, type: slmgr -rearm and hit enter.

6) Reboot

7) Vista should now work for another 30 days before it needs to be Activated

Now you can install your Modem Drivers (and any other drivers and/or hardware) before you need to Activate

(Note: the slmgr -rearm command can only be used 3 times before it will no longer work.)

If you have any additional issues, Please download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (on the computer having the issue) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:51 PM