none
70-433 - E-Learning Materials - which one? Or all? ARGUH! RRS feed

• Question

• I"m thinking about doing the E-Learning option.  I'm really experienced with SQL in general; but I've only been solidly in Sql Server for about 3 years, although I've used it in the past.  I want to pass the 70-433 for the MCTP; however, I'm not sure which E-Learning course to take.  They all seem to cover the right stuff; however, the one below has the test number in the title.  Does that mean it focuses on the 70-433 exam topics only?

10344AE: MCTS (Exam 70-433): TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development (18 Hours)

I'm a little confused at this point.

Thanks

Crusty.

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Crusty,

I will attempt to answer your question without breaching exam NDA :-)

Firstly let me say that I’ve been working with SQL Server since v7.0 so I can’t say with 100% certainty that this course provided me with the knowledge to pass the exam or whether it simply jolted some knowledge locked away somewhere.  That said, the course does cover all the objectives for the exam and does provide clear, concise and relevant examples.  It also provides links to external resources.

The biggest issue with this exam (and most exam actually) is that the objectives are very broad.  This means it’s difficult for any course or book to provide full coverage of what may be included in the exam.  From memory (as I did the course and exam back in August 2011) , there were some areas of the course that I thought “hey, what about this scenario or this option”.  This was not a bad thing as it reminded me to review those areas however if I didn’t have prior experience, I may not have known about them in the first place 9sorry however I can’t remember the exact nature of those areas).

Given that you’ve got a solid grounding in SQL Server, I think you’ll get a lot from this course and it will at least jog your memory.  BTW, I would also recommend spending a few dollars to either buy the Microsoft Self-Passed Training Kit for this exam (as it comes with a testing engine) or at least a testing package from MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.  They are quite good at providing some insight into the types of questions that may appear in the exam.  Each question provides a good explanation as to why an answer is/isn’t the right one.  They also provide links to additional resources about the topic covered in a question.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Marked as answer by CptCrusty1 Monday, October 29, 2012 1:38 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:18 PM

All replies

• I've done this course and sat the exam so can confirm that the course covers topics covered in the exam.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by tooleyrose Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:44 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for your input.  Does the course cover ALL the topics on the exam?  That's the primary question.  Also, how easy is it to follow along?  I"m a little dense with this stuff...   I had a copy of 2k8R2,but my HDD went on strike so I'm going to have to figure that one out as well....

Thanks

Crusty.

Thanks Crusty

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Hi Crusty,

I will attempt to answer your question without breaching exam NDA :-)

Firstly let me say that I’ve been working with SQL Server since v7.0 so I can’t say with 100% certainty that this course provided me with the knowledge to pass the exam or whether it simply jolted some knowledge locked away somewhere.  That said, the course does cover all the objectives for the exam and does provide clear, concise and relevant examples.  It also provides links to external resources.

The biggest issue with this exam (and most exam actually) is that the objectives are very broad.  This means it’s difficult for any course or book to provide full coverage of what may be included in the exam.  From memory (as I did the course and exam back in August 2011) , there were some areas of the course that I thought “hey, what about this scenario or this option”.  This was not a bad thing as it reminded me to review those areas however if I didn’t have prior experience, I may not have known about them in the first place 9sorry however I can’t remember the exact nature of those areas).

Given that you’ve got a solid grounding in SQL Server, I think you’ll get a lot from this course and it will at least jog your memory.  BTW, I would also recommend spending a few dollars to either buy the Microsoft Self-Passed Training Kit for this exam (as it comes with a testing engine) or at least a testing package from MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.  They are quite good at providing some insight into the types of questions that may appear in the exam.  Each question provides a good explanation as to why an answer is/isn’t the right one.  They also provide links to additional resources about the topic covered in a question.

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by CptCrusty1 Monday, October 29, 2012 1:38 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Has your question been asnwered?

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Yes yes yes!!  Thank you very much.  I plan on moving on this soon.

I've marked as answer, helpful, and prayed to the db gods that Bill Gates pays for the oil change your car needs  :D

Thanks again.

Crusty.

Thanks Crusty

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Good luck and let us know how you go.

Jeff Wharton

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:13 PM