Hardware Firewall behind router for whs? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok this maybe a very silly question....can I use a firewall behind my router for my home server and would there be any advantage to this? It's a Zyxtel personal firewall I have laying around and wanted to put it to use..I do have a NAT router in place now. I have remote access enabled and was looking for some more protection for the server from the internet...

Any help or advice would be greatly recived..

Thanks to everyone

Gene

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

• Ken..Thanks.. I thought the same thing but these day you can' be to safe...did some research on the firewall...(it was given to me as payment for fixing a computer)...found out it's really made for adding some protection to a VPN connection for a home worker...thought it mite come in handy someday.

Gene

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:56 PM

All replies

• You already have a firewall in your router; NAT plus blocking all ports except those you specifically open for WHS to use should provide sufficient protection. Adding another firewall (really just a one-port router) will only complicate things.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Ken..Thanks.. I thought the same thing but these day you can' be to safe...did some research on the firewall...(it was given to me as payment for fixing a computer)...found out it's really made for adding some protection to a VPN connection for a home worker...thought it mite come in handy someday.

Gene

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:56 PM