none
Re-installing; loss of data? RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I assemble a different case and mobo and transfer my hard drives and license soon, will WHS re-assemble my data on those hds, or is it a waste of time to continue filling them...?  Will my license recognize itself on the (same) System drive?  Is there a provision for non-destructive re-install?  (there wasn't when I installed my OEM license over the trial...)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you 'should' be able to. However, there are a few gotchas,

Ensure that your system drive will be attached to your first bootable connector on the new motherboard. You may well have to do a re-installation to account for the new hardware, it may work correctly without it, but there could be subtle differences which might not show up for a while. A re-installation will clean out the old grott and install a new HAL layer. This re-installation will recognise all your data, but could take quite some time as it rebuilds the info.

If your new motherboard requires it, you will need to have all the necessary drivers and install them during the re-installation.

You will need to re-add your users, Add-Ins etc.

Have a search through the forum, there have been a few people that have managed this successfully.

Colin

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:54 PM