none
How to avoid the microscopic print when posting to the forums. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As I enter this post in the "Ask a Question" Body section, the  font is like 7 point. I can barely see it. How do I get it to default to something like 10 or 12 point that I can actually see on the screen?

I appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

Bret

Bret A. Bennett
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:21 AM

Answers

• 10pt would be just perfect imho.
    Bret A. Bennett
    I'm marking my thread as answer just so I don't see this as red unanswered in My Threads.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Can't change it, We are looking at making it bigger though. Thanks for the feedback.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:07 AM
    Answerer
  • As I enter this post in the "Ask a Question" Body section, the  font is like 7 point. I can barely see it. How do I get it to default to something like 10 or 12 point that I can actually see on the screen?

Using which browser?   E.g. if IE use Zoom,   Ctrl-+

BTW this has just reminded me why I like 112% instead of 100%.   ; )

---

Sunday, July 3, 2011 2:57 PM
  • I was curious about the size of body text in the MS forums. There seems to be no difference for me on IE9 between the font size in posts and in the compose box on this page, but in both cases it's tiny. I eventually discovered that:

(a) there is no absolute font-size specified for this forum page (that I can find, at any rate)
    (b) this non-existent font-size is then reduced to 67% for body text
    (c) in the TechNet forums, I see body text reduced to 85% of 84% of a similarly non-existent font-size.
    (d) at Answers, the font-size is set to a respectable 9.6pt

I can only imagine, then, that the text size on this page is derived from whatever the browser default is. In IE9, I can't find out what that is or how to change it. The only options I know of are the browser-wide ones at View > Text size. I normally have this set to Smaller, and ISTR having read somewhere that Medium = 12px in IE and that the five graduations from Smallest to Largest were 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16px. If that's anywhere close to the truth for IE9, then I'm reading this at 6.7px = 4.5pt at 106ppi. No wonder my eyes are struggling.

There are very few pages nowadays where the IE Text size makes any difference. I only have it set to Smaller to cope with amateur pages that all too often use text that is embarrassingly large. There are other ways of making text on web pages more legible, but I don't expect to have to use them on MS sites. 

Can't change it

How about a font-size: 13px next to the font-family specification?

Noel
    Monday, July 4, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Thanks to All for the replies and informative comments :-)

Of all the 3rd party forums that I visit regularly, this Microsoft forum is the only one with the tiny print in the body. At the consumer site at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx , at least the body is 9 point.

While we're at it, the automatic double spacing is annoying too. I end up using Ctrl_Enter at the ends of paragraphs do circumvent that.

Regards,
    Bret

Bret A. Bennett
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:05 PM
  • What font does everyone want for the default font?  9pt? 9.6? 10? or something else?

Firedog, you are quoting me out of context... by 'cant' change it' I mean the end user can't easily change it, or at least I don't think they can. The way you quoted me with your suggestion, you make it sound like I was saying that 'we' can't change it on the dev side, which is false...we are looking to change it, which is what I said above.

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I realize they are all different, thanks for that though. In changing them to be the same, I was asking if anyone had any preferences for a standard size they think makes sense. Different brands actually want different fonts.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:34 AM
    Answerer
  • I like the font used in MSDN - I think its size is normal. When sometimes I switch to TechNet I immediately notice the size goes down.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Yes, puny isn't good. I'll see about making them bigger, at least the same as the rendered font.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:38 AM
    Answerer
  • 10pt would be just perfect imho.
    Bret A. Bennett
    I'm marking my thread as answer just so I don't see this as red unanswered in My Threads.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:17 PM
  • What font does everyone want for the default font?  9pt? 9.6? 10? or something else?

The 9.6pt at Answers works fine for me at 100% in IE9

Firedog, you are quoting me out of context... by 'cant' change it' I mean the end user can't easily change it, or at least I don't think they can. The way you quoted me with your suggestion, you make it sound like I was saying that 'we' can't change it on the dev side, which is false...we are looking to change it, which is what I said above.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. As I remarked earlier, there seems to be no size specified, so it would indeed be hard to change one size of None to another.

And sorry for the late response - I've just got back from my holidays.

Noel
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:09 AM

10 point would be nice, and it would be doubly nice if you'd actually use settings so that the font fills one pixel in width and comes out black when it is rendered.

The first line of this post is written in 10 point Arial.  This line is in 10 point Segoe UI.

BOTH are much readable than the default font, which is by comparison rather small and being rendered in a medium dark gray instead of black.  But the Segoe UI is still thin and not as dark.

-Noel

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi Noel,

Yes, that 10pt Arial does look nice and black. Perfect imho.

Bret

Bret A. Bennett
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Pardon this post; it's just a quick test to see if Segoe UI will render pure black at various sizes if explicitly set to a font-weight of normal.

Test123

Test123

Test123

Test123

Test123

Test123

Test123

-Noel

Friday, September 2, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Somehow, at this moment, I'm seeing the default font larger than it was. 

As of right now it's still the ultra-thin Segoe UI, and a thicker font could be better, but whatever it is you're doing to improve readability, thank you, Microsoft forum Admins!

This line is Segoe UI 10pt, just for visual comparison.

This line is Arial 10pt, just for visual comparison.

Edit:  Bah, looks like it's back the way it was again.  There was a nice orange looking theme in the top of the Technet pages that accompanied the change.  So it's clear someone's experimenting.  Maybe we can expect some permanent font size relief soon.

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Perhaps, except the CSS tends to "stick" when one moves from one part of the forums site to another, so it's not clear where the changes are coming from.

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I'd really like to know whether the forum administration understands that this is a problem that needs to be solved.  It's pretty damned thin and small!

I've taken to forcing my own posts to Arial 10pt, but that's kind of a pain to do.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Sunday, September 11, 2011 12:07 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:01 AM
  • I just wanted to dredge this old thread back up again to renew the request to continue improve the forum fonts...

I say "continue" because it looks as though the Segoe UI font normally used to display post contents HAS been made black (#000) opposed to the gray that it was (#444), so that's definitely an improvement.  It's darker, but it is still a bit on the small side.

I've never understood why the forum post font is not the same as what the user sees in the editor.  It seems to me that you should either change the editor or the post font (preferably the latter).

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:58 PM clarified wording
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:57 PM
  • I agree with Noel on this. The font in the editor is much better.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:15 PM
  • I've never understood why the forum post font is not the same as what the user sees in the editor.

Coincidentally I saw one example on the Answers forum earlier this week.   I was using the  PowerShell PSCX Set-ClipBoard cmdlet and found that somehow I had accumulated some Font tags in my Paste.  E.g. when checking after my Paste with Get-ClipBoard (since there is no HTML source frame on Answers).

So, let's try that with your example:

Set-Clipboard -HTML '<P style="font-family: Segoe UI; font-size: 10pt;">This line is Segoe UI 10pt, <STRONG>just for visual comparison</STRONG>.</P><P style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;">This line is Arial 10pt, <STRONG>just for visual comparison</STRONG>.</P>'

and that results in

<paste>

This line is Segoe UI 10pt, just for visual comparison.

This line is Arial 10pt, just for visual comparison.

</paste>

(which look distinctly different in here while I'm composing)

but it looks like the  style attribute from the first P was lost:

<p>and that results in</p><p>&lt;paste&gt;<br />This line is Segoe UI 10pt, <strong>just for visual comparison</strong>.</p>

I will fix that up using the HTML editor.  (I'm not sure where those capital P came from.  I wonder if they contributed to this anomaly?)

Anyway, let's see what happens after a Submit...

Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Perhaps, except the CSS tends to "stick" when one moves from one part of the forums site to another

I should also mention that this is still a problem (using IE9 at least)...

• If I start with My Threads in the MSDN forum, then click the link to this thread the font here is large and readable - just what the doctor ordered.
    • If I start with My Threads in the Technet forum, then click the very same link to this thread, the font here is uncomfortably small.  I'd say at least a 2 point difference in size.

I've not been able to directly upload images of late (what's up with that?), so I won't post screen grabs, but you can follow each of the links above and try it for yourself.

-Noel

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:18 PM
  • you can follow each of the links above and try it for yourself.

Supposedly we could Developer Tools, Trace Styles to understand why.   I can't see it.   Perhaps it would be simplest to just

check/uncheck settings to determine their effects 

(BING search for
        "internet explorer" "developer tools" "trace styles" site:msdn.com
    )

<eg>

---

Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:14 PM
  • The trouble with talking about this with any kind of finality is that one cannot leap to conclusions nor offer congratulations quickly...  Today, for example, I see text as color: #333, where yesterday I definitely saw it at #000 (and the text was a good bit more readable).

The font size is specified, near as I can tell, as 1em, which is a measurement that's relative to that of the parent element, which must be varying depending on the way the page is delivered.

-Noel

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:30 PM