MCITP to MCSA question... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!  New to this site and very curious about some of Microsoft new certifications.

I just completed my 70-680 exam and am now MCTS.  Currently studying the 70-685 exam for MCITP cert.  I briefly saw somewhere on Microsoft website that the MCITP cert will no longer be available to obtain after July 2013.  I also recall something about if you pass 70-680 & 70-685 you will get both MCITP and MCSA cert as the MCITP cert will be going away.  Can anybody confirm this?  I don't want to keep my hopes up for the MCSA if it's not....

Thanks!

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:57 AM

Answers

• Here is the response I got from Microsoft:

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft about MCITP and MCSA certification requirements.

I would be glad to be of assistance.

If you pass exam 70-685 before July 31, 2013 you would earn MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and MCSA: Windows 7 certification. Once you earn MCSA: Windows 7 certification you can upgrade to MCSA: Windows 8 certification, by taking a single upgrade exam (689 ? not yet released).

For more information, I would request you to please visit the below given link:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa-windows-8.aspx

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for using Microsoft.

Neera
    MCP Customer Service Representative"

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:04 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:25 AM

All replies

• MCSA is only awarded automatically to those people who obtain the MCITP SA or MCITP EA certifications.  Passing 70-680 and 70-685 by themselves will not give you the MCSA certification.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:03 AM
  • Here is the response I got from Microsoft:

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft about MCITP and MCSA certification requirements.

I would be glad to be of assistance.

If you pass exam 70-685 before July 31, 2013 you would earn MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and MCSA: Windows 7 certification. Once you earn MCSA: Windows 7 certification you can upgrade to MCSA: Windows 8 certification, by taking a single upgrade exam (689 ? not yet released).

For more information, I would request you to please visit the below given link:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa-windows-8.aspx

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for using Microsoft.

Neera
    MCP Customer Service Representative"

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:04 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:25 AM
  • Sorry, I thought you were referring to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 and forgot that Microsoft had recently released MCSA: Windows 7 and MCSA: Windows 8.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:31 AM
  • That's cool.  I didn't even know there was a MCSA for Windows.  I thought it was odd that I would of gotten a MCSA for Server if I didn't take any test for it...

Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:21 PM