FAST Transfers / SLOW Image Backup... Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Kind of a funny situation.

If I map network drive or go through dashboard I can transfer files in bursts of 120MB/s+ usually averaging in the 90MB/s range. I thought, THIS IS GREAT! Beats my NAS by about 20MB/s.

I set an image backup through my pc to the server and it's barely using 1% of the gigabit network and has been crawling for hours.

I've used remote desktop into the server (Very Snappy, as is Dashboard) to monitor task manager and nothing is going on. CPU is at 5% or less (usually 2%). I decided to transfer some large movie files while image backup is running and it's LIGHTNING FAST.

Primary computer is an i5 2500K 8GB RAM. Server is running a Core2Duo 4GB. It's definitely not a hardware issue.

Earlier in the day I created a system image to USB HDD and it took less than 10 minutes.

Help!?

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

• Tried again today and it completed in less than 20 minutes. I'm not sure what the issue was/is or if it will present itself again.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:54 AM
  • I'm not sure what the issue was/is ...
    • Was this the first client backup ever for the server?
    • Was it the first backup ever for the client?
    • Did the client have an extremely large amount of data to back up?

Normally, the first backup ever for the server is slow, and the first backup for a client is slow. If there's a lot of data (new or changed) that will also be slow.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:59 PM
  • It was a system image that was manually created. In other words, it wasn't a backup generated by the server. I manually backup to the server and a NAS for redundancy (mostly Pictures/Video).

I tend to reformat the system drive every few months, update everything, and then keep a system image in case something happens. Most recently Windows 7 started showing the login screen then would flash to a purple screen with only the mouse pointer visible. I booted into safe mode and tried to fix the issue from there. After a reboot, safe mode would stall while loading drivers. The system image saved the day.

According to my understanding, a new system image of the same computer will overwrite the previous system image. Therefore, it should have no bearing on whether it was a first backup or not. Is that correct?

I will try creating an image of my laptop, as it will be the "first backup" on the server and see what the speeds are like.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:38 AM
  • Currently creating a system image from the laptop (wired into gigabit) and it's just as slow. I'll let it finish and then do it again. If the speeds are improved then it must be a first time backup issue.

But as I said, one image replaces another, so why is it necessary for the first "backup" so slow? It essentially copies the same amount of data. It's not the same as the usual file sync type of backup.

• Edited by linsen4tw Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:23 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:17 AM
  • You keep talking about "image backup" and "system image", by this do you mean WHS Server backup? If so, then your statement "one image replaces another" is incorrect. This is why the first Server Backup takes a long time (backing up all selected data) and subsequent backups are quicker because these backups are incremental and does not replace the original.

If you are using Windows Backup rather than WHS functionality, then you are correct as it creates a full backup each time but then that's not the reason for implementing a Server with inbuilt backup functionality.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:30 PM
  • The backup is being created through "Create System Image" on the client pc. It is being created manually by the user (me), and the server is playing no intermediary role in the backup. In this scenario, it is my understanding from performing these kinds of images before on external HDDs that the new image will replace the old image, so it will never be "faster the second time around" since it's essentially doing the same thing over again from scratch.

I will try performing a second system image on the laptop today when I get home from work to see if it is also faster the second time around as it was with the pc. Although, it would make no sense that it would be.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Yes, W7 Backup & Restore creates a new System Image each time it is run. I suggest you set up Client Backups using the Server Dashboard which operates as described above.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:09 AM