I think my Win 7 Ultimate has an MSDN Product ID too, can you confirm? RRS feed

• Question

• Instead of doing the research ahead of time, I bought a Win 7 Ultimate full version from an eBay seller who also had 100% feedback. Package looked pretty good but the COA looked hinky. Received an email from another eBay person who advised me to check it out thoroughly.  Seller assured me that an "authentic" MS license was included. I opened the package to find 2 DVDs with sticky labels applied, not embedded holograms.  Seller again emphatically assured me that numbers were authentic MS.  I wanted to see the PID for myself and prove/disprove once and for all.  32 bit disc would not install but the 64 bit did.  Product ID # is 00426-068-2788523-86945. I have not yet run the diag but the 068 pretty much gives it away. Can you confirm this is an MSDN PID please?  Much obliged for any help. I have opened a case with eBay for counterfeit item, yet seller still insists it is a valid Microsoft number.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:41 PM

Answers

• The PID confirms that you have been sold a counterfeit box with an MSDN product key from a not-for-resale subscription. 

It is a valid Microsoft product key but it is not valid for anyone but the MSDN subscriber to whom it was issued.  Microsoft will block it as an abused subscription key at some point after enough copies with the PK have been activated.  The bottom line is that the PK is valid, but not when sold to a third party (you).

MSDN product keys allow up to ten simultaneous activations and that is why the counterfeiters like to use them. 

Pursue your case in the eBay resolution center and demand your money back.  eBay has seen thousands of these already.  The seller can demand the return of the item.  Do so.  Microsoft does its own evidence collecting.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The PID confirms that you have been sold a counterfeit box with an MSDN product key from a not-for-resale subscription. 

It is a valid Microsoft product key but it is not valid for anyone but the MSDN subscriber to whom it was issued.  Microsoft will block it as an abused subscription key at some point after enough copies with the PK have been activated.  The bottom line is that the PK is valid, but not when sold to a third party (you).

MSDN product keys allow up to ten simultaneous activations and that is why the counterfeiters like to use them. 

Pursue your case in the eBay resolution center and demand your money back.  eBay has seen thousands of these already.  The seller can demand the return of the item.  Do so.  Microsoft does its own evidence collecting.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Colin, Thank you for the quick and clear answer. I just wish I had read about all this counterfeiting before I let myself be taken. Thanks again. (Any need in running and posting the diagnostic?)
    • Edited by Davidn_540 Friday, October 14, 2011 9:00 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:58 PM
  • No need in posting it but you might want to include a copy of the report in your case with the eBay resolution center.  That's what I did. 
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:50 PM
    Answerer