none
WHS Connector for a PC not part of the workgroup but part of a domain that share the same DNS RRS feed

• Question

• I do not know if my post went through so I apologize if there is a duplicate.

I have a question as to whether or not PCs part of a domain on the same AD will successfully connect to the WHS for shared media?

SBS2003R2 running DNS, AD and so on
    WHS 2008 running and communicating fine with pcs of a common workgroup
    PCs that are part of the domain controlled by the SBS2003R2????  Can they successfully connect and share media to the WHS?

Will work or not work?  Any thoughts?

I could have just tried but prefer to do the research first.

Thanks,

Karl

Regards,
    Karl
    Karl
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• If you had "just tried" you would have found that it will work fine.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Ken

Thanks for the reply.  I did in fact try last night and it did indeed work just fine.  However, the add-ins like Recorded TV or TV Manager are a bit of a problem because of the configuration. 

I will take it off the domain later tonight to confirm but if you have any insights I am all ears.  Thanks again.

Karl
    Karl
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Well, those add-ins are designed to work in a typical home network environment. Active Directory is a typical business environment. I won't say that you'll never get them to work, but you'll probably struggle.

One thing: Windows Home Server will, if you have joined it to your domain, start shutting down in a few days because you've violated one of the more strictly enforced terms of the EULA. Server reinstallation is the way to correct this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:19 AM