none
Installation issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a challenge installing WHS.  I am very anxious to get it going as I am having a hard time managing my kids, my wife's and my 3 computers.  

I intend to evaluate WHS for 120 days, on the following hardware:
    Sempron 2400+
    2 Gig's of Ram
    160 GB ATA HDD
    DVD RW+/-

In my network I have in excess of 4 terabytes on 7 machines and NAS.

Here is the issue: I put in the Installation DVD - It goes through all the setup.... it copies... starts installing shows... 51 minutes remaining... then I leave... grabba java, and come back.. and it is back at the initial setup screen.  Interestingly enough, WHS has formatted the drive with 20Gig's NTFS, and 129Gig's unallocated.  So, I reformat it back to 156 Gig's NTFS, and the same thing happens.

Any Ideas???  I am glad I didnt shell out 1000 for a whole server at this point. 

Hopefully there someone out there that can help.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:32 AM

Answers

• It looks like the BIOS doesn't have a correct boot order set. I would start setup, wait until the first reboot, and at this very moment, *before* the machine boots again, do one of the two things:

1) either go to BIOS setup and swap boot devices, making sure that the (correct, if you have many) hard drive is the first in the list

2) or temporarily eject the DVD, let the machine boot from the hard drive, and immediately put the DVD back so it's in again when setup tries to access it.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The formatting is correct. WHS allows 20 GB for the system, the rest is used as a DATA partition.
    I'm surprised it takes that long to go through the setup, but perhaps it is stalling somewhere.

Always keep the WHS installation DVD in the drive. WHS will reboot several times and need that data.
    Also, you may get to a point if WHS cannot find your SATA drives, you'll need to load the SATA drivers on a floppy.

Also, perhaps try installing on one drive first. And then after WHS is done, go ahead and connect additional drives.

Best of luck!
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 8:27 AM
  • I am having the same issues. I ran throught he setup 3 times. I get tho the 51 minutes screen and then rignt back to the initial setup screen. Has anybody else experienced this? Getting quite frustrated. 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:18 AM
  • It looks like the BIOS doesn't have a correct boot order set. I would start setup, wait until the first reboot, and at this very moment, *before* the machine boots again, do one of the two things:

1) either go to BIOS setup and swap boot devices, making sure that the (correct, if you have many) hard drive is the first in the list

2) or temporarily eject the DVD, let the machine boot from the hard drive, and immediately put the DVD back so it's in again when setup tries to access it.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:14 AM
    Answerer