Comments on first experience RRS feed

• General discussion

•  My first and formost interest in Mesh is the ability to share folders on a variety of computers.  In particular, I have some OneNote notebooks that I want available on 4 seperate computers, one being my home, and 3 at work.

After the initial setup, I was very confused as to how to set up shared folders.  My first thought was to make a folder in the "live desktop" area that was named the same as one of my notebooks, and then to copy the files/folders from that notebook to it.  Forgiving the drag/drop not working (since it says it will later), I was shocked to find that when I attempted to use "upload file" to my new folder that I could not copy folders, but just files.  After quite a few attempts at trying to figure out how to "share" a OneNote notebook, I gave up, and thought I would get to it later.

Later that night, during an unrelated activity on my compter, I noticed that when I right-clicked on a folder in the file explorer that there was the option "Add folder to your live mesh".  This gave me what I wanted to do in the first place, which was to allow a folder to be shared.  After that, I got it all working.

My point is, there needs to be some sort of easy discovery (or training video that is present VERY soon after installation) that shows the basic steps to add a folder into live mesh.

As a extra general comment, just the ability to be able to have my OneNote files update on all my computers is enough of a reason alone for me to purchase this product (assuming you don't price it out of my ability to pass the price past my wife.)  Please make sure that while your getting all of these comments on what features should be added that you stay true to the core product features.  You can always add bells and whistles on a later rev.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:32 AM

All replies

• I have to agree with you about the confusion creating a shared folder. I was a bit luckier - I'd been reading this forum while waiting to get an invite, so I recalled that I'd seen something about it when I started thrashing.

I'm not keen on the default location of the folder on other machines - I don't like to put folders on my desktop, so I had to sort out that little wrinkle.

I totally agree with your suggestion on a short training video. The online help is actually pretty good, but a short video (like the Channel 9 stuff) would make me go "Aha!" a lot quicker.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:56 PM
  • I agree a channel 9/10 video would be good. 

I noticed I can right click on the button formerly known as start and add the 'Start Folder' to mesh.
    When I do add folders I was thinking the contents would automatically get added too but it does not appear so.   

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:03 PM