FLAC support RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would truly love to see my Xbox360 being able to play the FLAC files that are stored on my WHS.

I DON'T want to have to convert all of my FLAC files to any other format and I'm fed up to the teeth with people believing that this is an acceptable solution.

Why can't Microsoft just add support for FLAC files? FLAC has become a very widespead and popular format. Is it pride, or something else?
    What does it matter to Microsoft if I choose to use FLAC? Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't do any good. It's here, we like it and we want to use it....please, just accept it.

Support for XviD was added much to the delight of everybody and it has had a truly positive effect. Encouraging people to go out and buy Xbox360s as media extenders. I would NEVER have purchased an Xbox360 until Xvid support was added. As soon as it was I purchased TWO!! I don't play games on either of them.

Adding support for FLAC would encourage MORE people to take up this option rather than coming up with their own solutions. It's not rocket science.

Please stop telling us what we can have and start listening to what we would like.... It's mutually beneficial :-)

Monday, November 3, 2008 10:50 AM

All replies

• Abattis said:

FLAC has become a very widespead and popular format. Is it pride, or something else?

maybe, but your posting it the first time, in which I did hear that format name FLAC. (I count myself not uneducated in IT matters, but don't own a XBox 360 on the other side.)
    So maybe that format is still not that popular and widespread, as you assume. (Although the informations on Wikipedia about this format look interesting.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

So maybe that format is still not that popular and widespread, as you assume. (Although the informations on Wikipedia about this format look interesting.)

If you would like to learn more about FLAC, please take a look at http://flac.sourceforge.net/ to see many examples of where and how FLAC files are being used. You will also find more information about the format in general.

Cheers!
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:17 AM
  • Abattis said:

I would truly love to see my Xbox360 being able to play the FLAC files that are stored on my WHS.

Probably the right place to discuss FLAC support on your Xbox 360 is the Xbox Audio and Video forum

There are a number of ways to get your WHS to serve FLAC-compressed audio, including the free (but very nice) Firefly Media Server. Getting your Xbox to play it is another matter, and one out of the hands of the Windows Home Server team.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:35 PM