none
cannot add/remove cluster users RRS feed

• Question

• We are having problems adding and removing users and admistrators from the management console. We have a clustered HPC Head nodes running HPC R2 (no service pack1). The cluster is configured with topology 1. Here is the problem:

Everytime i try to add users from the management console I get an error "Error occured adding users/administrators". every time i try to remove a user from the console I see a progress bar and then the user name just stays there. I hit F5 to refresh and the user goes away. I hit refresh again and the user gets listed again. Any more F5 clicks keeps making the user disappear and reappear in the console. This problem began after we rebuilt the cluster head nodes which are configured in a failover cluster. The remote sql databases was not rebuilt unless they were recreated by the installation process. i tried to use remove-hpcmember and no use. i tried to remove the users from the HPCUsers groip and it puts it right back after i close and reopen the add/remove member window for the group...I have done this from both the head ndoes and the problem remains

I was successfully able to add users through the HPCUsers group but now that is stuck and i cannot remove it...

This is the first problem. The second issue is that, I am trying to add and remove some users because even though user's group has logon locally right to the compute nodes and permission to submit jobs to the cluster, they cannot run jobs and are being asked for credentials everytime they try to run jobs. So i thought maybe i need to remove and re-add them to fix this issue but i am unable to do that because of above issue.

Any help with these problems is greatly appreciated!

Friday, June 24, 2011 1:11 AM

Answers

• We ended up calling Microsoft on this. While working with the tech we installed SP1 thinking MAYBE the issue was resolved in it (I or the tech never saw this article you pointed me to). After the install the problem seem to remain. We hit F5 the user came back in the console, we hit F5 again the user goes away. So we thought the problem was not fixed. Later, i went in to the management console and i did not see the user listed. i hit refresh a couple of times and it did not come back. So i added it again removed it and then hit refresh again. User came back. So i closed out of the console and went back in and this time the user would not come back. So although the above article ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2476794) you have to close out and go back into the management console to see that the user has been removed.
    • Marked as answer by Vega1x1 Friday, July 1, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:14 PM
  • We ended up calling Microsoft on this. While working with the tech we installed SP1 thinking MAYBE the issue was resolved in it (I or the tech never saw this article you pointed me to). After the install the problem seem to remain. We hit F5 the user came back in the console, we hit F5 again the user goes away. So we thought the problem was not fixed. Later, i went in to the management console and i did not see the user listed. i hit refresh a couple of times and it did not come back. So i added it again removed it and then hit refresh again. User came back. So i closed out of the console and went back in and this time the user would not come back. So although the above article ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2476794) you have to close out and go back into the management console to see that the user has been removed.
    • Marked as answer by Vega1x1 Friday, July 1, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 3:00 PM