wifi clients and 2x routers... RRS feed

• Question

• I have the server running and have connected one user via Ethernet.  I cannot as yet get a wifi-enabled computer on the network to access the server.  I'm running a wired router off the cable modem and out of that router, I'm running a wifi router upstairs to access the rest of the computers in the house, so double routers.

Am I asking something that's impossible?  I see numerous threads about connecting the server itself using wifi, but that's not what I'm doing.  I just want to be able to hit the server from a wifi computer otherwise on the network.  All but one of my computers are wifi, so it's rather important.

Sage advice requested.... :-)

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:01 PM

All replies

• Turn off the DHCP function on the wireless router and let the wired router handle DHCP requests. Ensure that the wireless router is in the same subnet range as the wired router, i.e. 192.168.2.xxx. You can reserve an IP address for the wireless router in the wired router so you can always find it.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Umm, ok, but unless my lack of understanding is showing, I didn't think the wifi clients would get to the wired router unless they had already been assigned an IP by the DHCP in the wifi router.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I forgot to mention in my first post, you should download the WHS toolkit and run it on the wireless computers. It will run a series of tests which might point out the problem.

If you revert the wireless router to its factory default setting, access it via the webpage, change its IP address to one within the range of the wired router and then turn off the DHCP function in the wireless router you should be in business. (You want to turn off this function because you do not want the wireless and wired router to start handing out the same address to two different computers)
    I think the main problem you can encounter is the fact the manufacturers may use different default subnets, i.e. xxx.xxx.0.xxx or xxx.xxx.2.xxx. You can run different subnets within your LAN, I did, but it's a pain and not very useful in a home network environment [unless you are running more than 255 computers Smile ]

Run the toolkit first and check the recommendations.

HTH
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Thanks for the further explanation.  I'll get on it later tonight.  Fortunately, I'm just under the wire at only 253 computers here at the house <whew>, so at least that won't be an issue! 

I'll repost info when I know more.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:54 PM