Windows Language reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I went to shop in The Hague (a town full of non Dutch speaking people) and could only purchase PC's with Windows XP home installed (Dutch Version and completely useless to us).  I have 2 PC's with licenced and registered copies of English XP Home and stated I would use the disks at home and use the XP licence key that comes with the PC.  I was told by the shop that that would not work.  This sounds completely incorrect as the sticker on the side of the new PC states XP home (no reference to the country or Language). 

Could you please confirm this is wrong (incidentally my friend is visiting the Apple Shop tomorrow).  She has licenced version of Office 2003 and other software (seen original disks etc) so please confirm it is not Microsofts intention to treat legitimate customers like this.  Incidentally she has licenensed copy of XP Professional.  How easy is it to change this to the new hardware (as know you register the installation against the hardware) when registering over the web. 

Sunday, October 8, 2006 5:51 PM

Answers

• If the new PCs came preinstalled with an OEM version of Windows XP (Dutch version), then the OEM Product Keys affixed to the PCs are only valid with the PC manufacturer's installed Dutch version of Windows XP. Contact the PC manufacturer and explain your situation, and ask them if can order their English version of Windows XP.
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 7:16 PM

All replies

• If the new PCs came preinstalled with an OEM version of Windows XP (Dutch version), then the OEM Product Keys affixed to the PCs are only valid with the PC manufacturer's installed Dutch version of Windows XP. Contact the PC manufacturer and explain your situation, and ask them if can order their English version of Windows XP.
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 7:16 PM
  • Does this man the licence key is invalid (and will not register the English version as legal software) or is it just the OEM has the drivers required for the machine (for the specific DVD driver or card reader etc) and I need to let Windows identify the equipment and download from HP (in this instance)?

The retailers are generally not interested in liason with suppliers (commonly referred to as Dutch service).  I know of Expats that do this type of reinstall so if you are right then they must be using pirated keys or have purchased the full software again (must ask them)! 

I am also interested from Microsoft why they seek to make it that difficult for international mobile customers?  In this case the emergency is due to a friends faulty PC requiring replacement but could otherwise normally accept the 2-3 week to go to another store that does custom sales and configuration.

Monday, October 9, 2006 11:05 AM
  • Terry_V, when a license (in this case indicated by the Certificate of Authenticity stuck to the PC) is associated to a pc then and is sold with the PC then that license cannot be transferred to another PC. Based on your descriptio it sounds like you have a couple of licenses on PCs you already own. If that's true those licenses cannot be moved to another PC (such as the one you want to purchase now). I agree with the earlier recommendation that you ask the PC manufacturer if it's possible to obtain a PC from them tha already has the english version pre-installed or if there's a way for them to do a swap after purchase.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:36 PM