Re-install - only C drive cleaned up or D also? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS2011 recently and as expected, a C drive of 40GB was created, along with the rest of the hard disk being designated as D drive.

Due to a possible corrupt install, I want to reinstall but at the same time, I would like to avoid moving files from my D drive over to USB and moving them back since it is very time-consuming (~600GB total).

So, the question I have is, when I reinstall, will the C drive get formatted or C and D both, given that they are on the same physical hard disk? If it is only C drive that is going to get wiped, I can reinstall without any issues.

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

• From the installation instructions:

"Click I understand that if I click Install, all files and folders on my primary hard drive will be deleted, and then click Install."

But this is for a new installation but I believe is also true for a re-installation. If you boot from the installation disk you should be offered a repair/re-installation option (if you have backed up the server) but getting files back involves a restore from the server backup. It's going to take time unless the shares were on a second disk. I would recommend making a backup of your data just in case.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:56 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21 Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Monday, June 13, 2011 6:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RPMM Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by RPMM Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:35 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 10:27 PM
  • For the safety of your data unless you already have saved elsewhere it would not be worth the risk of hoping D drive is not formatted.

Copying 600GB to another disk does not really take that long and will be atleast be safe. If D drive is not wiped in the re-installation all well and good. All that you have lost is the few hours it takes make a copy of the data for your own peace of mind :). The only problem with electronic data if you lose it with out another good copy somewhere it's gone for good.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:52 AM

All replies

• From the installation instructions:

"Click I understand that if I click Install, all files and folders on my primary hard drive will be deleted, and then click Install."

But this is for a new installation but I believe is also true for a re-installation. If you boot from the installation disk you should be offered a repair/re-installation option (if you have backed up the server) but getting files back involves a restore from the server backup. It's going to take time unless the shares were on a second disk. I would recommend making a backup of your data just in case.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:56 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21 Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Monday, June 13, 2011 6:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RPMM Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:34 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 10:27 PM
  • For the safety of your data unless you already have saved elsewhere it would not be worth the risk of hoping D drive is not formatted.

Copying 600GB to another disk does not really take that long and will be atleast be safe. If D drive is not wiped in the re-installation all well and good. All that you have lost is the few hours it takes make a copy of the data for your own peace of mind :). The only problem with electronic data if you lose it with out another good copy somewhere it's gone for good.

Dave

Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:52 AM

Dave

Ok, got it. I do have my server backup disk, which I can use :-)

I tried installing from within WHS2011 and all went well until after reboot and the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" screen came up, and it asked for the product key again. It fails to recognize the product key even though it accepted the same product key on the earlier screen. Very strange.

I am going to try to format and reinstall now. Probably the cleanest option. Thanks Dave for all the help on my various posts here :-)

Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:11 PM
  • btw, it does clean the whole physical disk, so I did lose D: drive as well. However, my server backup drive came in handy, I was able to mount the image as a VHD and take care of moving files back.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:34 AM