server back up RRS feed

• Question

• the server back up has started taking forever to complete and usually doesn't complete in the 6 hours allocated for back ups.... I only back up the server operating system and documents so not much data..

Also the dashboard keeps shutting down with a (long) error code; starts up again OK. What's the problem? Memory? Should I install more DDR3 memory?

• Edited by siwajayaboy Friday, April 20, 2012 4:42 AM misspelling
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:41 AM

Answers

• Yes - managed a manual back-up now by reformatting the external (backup) drive. Took several hours though... and closed down the dashboard while doing it as it kept crashing (low on memory?). I get the "Memory usage above 93% for more than 3 minutes" message quite often now.

Let's see if the Automatic back-ups return to normal.... and thanks for your time, Ken.

• Marked as answer by siwajayaboy Friday, April 20, 2012 11:36 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:24 PM

All replies

• Check all the drives in your server for errors. Include any connected backup drive(s).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Yes - managed a manual back-up now by reformatting the external (backup) drive. Took several hours though... and closed down the dashboard while doing it as it kept crashing (low on memory?). I get the "Memory usage above 93% for more than 3 minutes" message quite often now.

Let's see if the Automatic back-ups return to normal.... and thanks for your time, Ken.

• Marked as answer by siwajayaboy Friday, April 20, 2012 11:36 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:24 PM
  • I get the "Memory usage above 93% for more than 3 minutes" message quite often now.

Did you, by any chance, override the hardware checks via a response file when you installed? If so, and you're operating with 1 Gb of memory, you should upgrade to 2 Gb or more as soon as possible.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:00 AM
  • No - bought the whole thing "ready made" and it has one piece of 2GB DDR3; looks like normal "laptop" type RAM so I was going to go out and buy another 2GB and slot it in to the second slot ... providing it will prove useful! 
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Have you installed any software on your server, or used your server like a desktop machine?

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Yes - I added the Advanced Admin Console which gives all sorts of access, including Internet, although as yet I haven't used it much as the processor is relatively slow (Atom 525) - perhaps that means I do need extra RAM?

The automatic backup of the server failed again last night - just says "unsuccessful" no reasons given, which I find frustrating...

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:57 AM