none
5Ghz RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This similar question has been asked some time ago here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-HK/sora/thread/7bfbe609-76bb-4912-a8a7-4ebd5de73cfb. However, looking at the dot11config tool (SoRa SDK1.6) it seems as if 5Ghz is supported.

dot1config -h

-c flag states that 5Ghz channels are supported

furthermore, in src/kmsdr/SDRMiniport/ioctrl.c:208

case IOCTL_SET_CHANNEL:

there is logic to set the 5Ghz frequency properly.

However, setting the frequency to any 5Ghz channels results in SoRa being configured on channel 6 of the 2.4Ghz band. Is this intentional? It looks more like a bug as if the 5Ghz band is not supported an error should be printed instead of silently defaulting to channel 6.

I need to run experiments on 5Ghz spectrum as 2.4Ghz spectrum is quite congested, I would appreciate if you could shed some light on this issue.

Thanks,

Astrit

• Edited by astritzh Monday, November 26, 2012 9:16 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 1:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Astrit,

If you are using Sora SDK 1.6, I would suggest you to use UMX API for your development.

We are gradually moving to user mode programming eventually.

UMXSDRAB is a good start point for UMX based WiFi implementation.

Sora indeed supports 5GHz. You can SoraURadioSetCentralFreq (UMX) or SoraHwSetCentralFreq (Kernel mode) to change the central frequency of the radio. The function takes a frequency in KHz as the parameter.

Thanks,

- Kun

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi Kun,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I have started playing with UMXSDRAB and I only could make it work on 802.11b and I was only getting only ~800Kbps of throughput (I will give another try at some later point). Then I switched to kernel mode where I managed to make it work on 802.11a and I am getting a throughput of ~21Mbps when transmitting @54Mbps UDP broadcast and around 19Mbps when I am transmitting @54Mbps UDP unicast. I can see that that SoraHwSetCentralFreq() in kernel mode is used to set the frequency however, setting it to any 5Ghz frequency defaults to channel 6 on 2.4Ghz. Could this be that the firmware on my SoRa boards does not support 5.7Ghz (both of the SoRa boxes use Rice RF-Frontend)?

Thanks,

A.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

I was looking at the SoraURadioSetCentralFreq and  SoraHwSetCentralFreq and it seems that behavior is the same. When setting frequencies lower than 2.412Ghz (Channel 1) the frequency is set to 2.412Ghz and when setting frequencies higher than 2.483 (Channel 7) the frequency is set to 2.437Ghz (Channel 6). I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same behavior?

A.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:06 AM
  • you may need to upgrade your RAB firmware to the latest version, you can get it from http://www.v3best.com/sdr/ProductShow.asp?ID=141

-Jiansong

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Hi, Jiansong,

Thanks for your reply. Both of my SoRa's use Warp Rice Boards (http://warp.rice.edu/trac/wiki/HardwareUsersGuides/RadioBoard_v1.4),  the manual in the firmware you pointed doesn't seem to have any information about these boards. I'd appreciate if you could point me to the right direction.

Thanks, Astrit

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Hi Astrit,

It seems you are using very old version. We only update firmware for USRP radio in recent two years because USRP users are the majority. The RCB firmware for WARP radio does not support 5GHz and we did not update it. Please email me individually for this issue.

Best,

-Jiansong

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:42 AM