Can we back up to a usb stick? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i  am trying to back up to my usb stick

but am getting an error

any1 know why

This is the error it brings up

OneCare does not recommend using a FAT32 device for backup, use an NTFS device instead  11
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:35 PM

Answers

• You can use a FAT32 formatted volume (hard drive or flash media, which is what a thumb drive is) as long as you are not using Centralized Backup and only backing up a single PC. You will still get the suggestion to change to NTFS, but it isn't required. On the other hand, your thumb drive must be at least 8 gigs in size and have enough free space to handle the backed up data.

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I am getting the same error message, doesn't make sense that we can't use a USB stick...

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Hello Christabelle

it does not,its been driving me mad  all day
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:13 PM
  • You can use a FAT32 formatted volume (hard drive or flash media, which is what a thumb drive is) as long as you are not using Centralized Backup and only backing up a single PC. You will still get the suggestion to change to NTFS, but it isn't required. On the other hand, your thumb drive must be at least 8 gigs in size and have enough free space to handle the backed up data.

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Thanks  for your help  Steve 

i have centralized back up that's why it was not working also i was trying to put it on my 1gig usb stick 
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:25 PM
  • You're very welcome.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:08 PM