none
Porting Windows Phone app to browser or wherever RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a game for Windows Phone about five years ago. Though I'd had years of OOP coding at that time, after that project I haven't coded anything since. In those days, it was ASP.Net, Expression Blend, Silverlight, the Phone, WFC, Windows 7. I know a lot has changed. 

Now I would like to reheat those dev skills. My first order of business, I think, is to get this game running again so I have some familiar code to review. I no longer own a Windows Phone. I haven't been able to get the WP emulator installed on VS, (which is a separate issue I'm working on and not the point of this post). In any case, my ultimate goal is to port this game to a platform that I can show people without needing a phone or emulator. Ideally, I would love to be able to run it in a browser.

So, this is sort of an open-ended question: Where do I start? The whole project is C# and the UI was built in Expression Blend, and it was completed in 2012. I can't run it now without the emulator, but even when I get the emulator problem fixed, I'll immediately want to start porting it over.

So the context here is that I used to be a good C# developer, and built Windows Phone apps, but I'm sure things have changed in five years, and I want to use this old phone game to both brush up my skills and get it to a platform that I can show people without needing a phone. Thanks in advance!

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:21 PM

All replies

• The key for you is that all devices such as a smart phone, tablet, laptop and desktop computer have browsers. That alone should maker you lean  towards having a WEB based solution where everything is on  the WEB server. And there is no footprint on any device, because the browse on the device is hitting a WEB site.

Most cross device solutions using a browser are using the following:

1) ASP.NET MVC

2) ASP.NET WEB API

3) WCF WEB Service

4) JavaScript

5) CSS

6) Jquery

7) HTML

8) Ntier

You may want to look into SignalR too.

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Yes, thanks, I did mean to refer specifically to web browsers!

I don't really need the solution to be cross device, I just want to change it so that it can run on a web browser instead of the phone. Thanks for the list!

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:53 PM
  • For questions related to build web apps please post in the ASP.NET forums.

For questions related to migrating apps to the newer Universal platform or to .NET core so it can be run on non-Windows machines then please post in the appropriate forums.

Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:36 PM