none
Printer issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to share my HP deskjet 3550 with WHS, but any program that goes to print will hang. I got WHS to map out my home network and it found the printer that's connected to my main desktop and installed the drivers.

The bad part is if you got to print anything from any program, the program will just hang. I can set up the "Print Setup" and make any changes with out a problem and it does show my printer. But again go to print and the program will hang. I left the system alone for three hours to see if it needed time connect but no such luck.

I have WHS being able to connect to my computer (PRIME) and they’ll share files, resources ect. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vincent

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:47 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to share a printer thats connected to WHS or your Desktop?
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Is the printer attached to your home server?  Or is the printer attached to a home computer? 

What happens when you plug the printer into your home server?

Thursday, March 8, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Hi guys/girls,

The printer is setup on my home computer. Also I tried to set it up to the system with WHS and I still get all the programs crashing when I go to print from them (and yes I installed the drivers on WHS from HP’s site). I checked the security settings and the permissions as well and every thing is setup right.

I’m starting to think that it might be an incapability issue, with the type of printer. If any one has any ideas let me know.

Friday, March 9, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I think he was asking where the cable from the printer is plugged in. Does it connect the printer to your computer, or to WHS? Or maybe to a print server device on your network?
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:22 PM
  •  White Dragon wrote:

"I'm trying to share my HP deskjet 3550 with WHS, but any program that goes to print will hang. I got WHS to map out my home network and it found the printer that's connected to my main desktop and installed the drivers." 

AS I first posted, the HP deskjet 3550 is connected to my desktop(home computer"

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:55 PM
  • I would recommend connecting the printer to the server itself.  By doing so, other connected client PC's will be able to print to the device if your "main" PC is off or inaccessible.  That is one of the benefits of WHS.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Andrew ,

Thanks for the info, but I'm still trying to get the WHS system to print. As I stated even with the printer hooked up to WHS it will crash any program that will try to print. For my main computer and any other computer that uses the printer, they work with out a problem.

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:52 PM
  • What drivers are you trying to use? Does WHS find the driver automaticly?
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:53 PM
  •  White Dragon wrote:

Hi guys/girls,

The printer is setup on my home computer. Also I tried to set it up to the system with WHS and I still get all the programs crashing when I go to print from them (and yes I installed the drivers on WHS from HP’s site). I checked the security settings and the permissions as well and every thing is setup right.

I’m starting to think that it might be an incapability issue, with the type of printer. If any one has any ideas let me know.

I had a similar issue with an HP OfficeJet D135. The problem I came across was that there are no drivers or applications supporting Server 2003 systems for that printer. What I did was, with the printer connected to the WHS system, I saved the application file from the HP site to a temp folder on the data drive for WHS. Right click the application file, selecting properties and change the Compatibility Mode to Windows XP, click apply and ok. Then run the application to install.

I hope that helps.

Jim

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:21 AM