Blocking Server From Console RRS feed

• Question

• I have allowed a neighbour to use our internet connection for use with his console, but I do not want for it to connect to the server. I am also wanting to keep the server connected to the internet, as I have remote accounts setup. So I want to know if its possible to block the console from even accessing the server. If I cannont stop the console from accessing the server is there some hardware solution I could do.
    HMG
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:50 AM

All replies

• Setup firewall rules that in your modem or router that block access from the console IP address to your internal network. If you want to do this you should also set your DHCP server to assign a fixed IP address to the console.

Friday, October 30, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Traditionally this is done with a segmented LAN and/or router configuration. If your router doesn't support this type of configuration (VLAN, for example) you may be out of luck. Very few consumer grade routers are able to segment a LAN this way...

Your best solution, to be honest, is to tell your neighbor to pay for his own internet connection. This type of advanced network configuration is well beyond the boundaries of what Windows Home Server was designed to support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:52 PM