Creating Internet Connection Post-Install? RRS feed

• Question

• WSH has been telling me that C: is on the way out for literally weeks now, so I bit the bullet and started to rebuild the server.

Forgot that I had both a mobo network interface and a NIC.

The install created the internet connection on the NIC instead of the mobo interface.

Borderline control freak that I am, I wanted the internet connection tb on the mobo interface.

There did not seem tb any means of changing the existing connection, so I deleted it - expecting to create one that used the mobo, and then create another for the NIC.

Oops....  

Something to the effect of "You should already have an internet connection, so we're not going to let you create one..." pops when I try to create one.

"Should " ?????    Holy Linux-Land, Batman!!!

Am I about to pull the offending NIC, boot from the install CD, and start over?

Or is there a way?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:00 PM

Answers

• If you have two NICs you should also have two (or more) connections under "Network Connections" already. Is that what you mean? if you only see one connection there, check to see if you need to add drivers for the second (integrated) NIC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:07 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I understand your question, Pete.

In general, Windows Home server doesn't support a "multi-homed" configuration, where you're using two or more network interfaces with one devoted to some tasks and the other devoted to other tasks. If that's what you're trying to do, give it up and just use one network connection.

If you're trying to switch your network connection from the add-in NIC to the integrated NIC, you should be able to plug the network cable into the appropriate port, install some drivers (if you haven't done so yet), and be good to go.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:41 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand your question, Pete.
    I talk too much.... I know it, but can't always control it.

The Question: Is there a way to create an internet connection after deleting the internet connection created by the WHS install?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:28 PM
  • If you have two NICs you should also have two (or more) connections under "Network Connections" already. Is that what you mean? if you only see one connection there, check to see if you need to add drivers for the second (integrated) NIC.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:07 PM
    That was it: I had not yet done the mobo driver installs, so I guess there was nothing for the Network Connection wiz to work with beyond the NIC - which it seems like it somehow assumed was already being used.

Yanked the NIC, just on GPs, installed the mobo drivers, and something in the mobo driver install automagically created the connection.

Nice catch!

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:16 PM