RE: Install missing updates RRS feed

• Question

•  

Everytime I turn on my computer the LiveOne Care starts green and then turns to orange. It says I need to install missing updates, so it tries to install and it comes back and says "Microsoft VM" This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of Microsoft VM. What does this mean?

Thank you

Rebbie

Friday, January 4, 2008 11:03 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me as if the Microsoft Virtual Machine is being detected by Windows Update on your system and it is unpatched. This component is no longer available and came included with older versions of Windows. Due to a settlement with Sun, it is no longer available from Microsoft. However, if it is installed, it can be updated. Since you are getting that message when the update tries to be installed, there would appear to be a broken copy of the component on your system being detected.

You can try reaching out to OneCare support for help with this or see the Windows Update Solution Center for support options for Windows Update issues - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?PR=wupd

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:29 AM

All replies

• It sounds to me as if the Microsoft Virtual Machine is being detected by Windows Update on your system and it is unpatched. This component is no longer available and came included with older versions of Windows. Due to a settlement with Sun, it is no longer available from Microsoft. However, if it is installed, it can be updated. Since you are getting that message when the update tries to be installed, there would appear to be a broken copy of the component on your system being detected.

You can try reaching out to OneCare support for help with this or see the Windows Update Solution Center for support options for Windows Update issues - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?PR=wupd

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:29 AM
  • This PC is missing updates from Microsoft and maybe at risk from internet threats.

Visit the Microsof website now to install avaliable high-priority updates.

Best Reagards, Mathilda

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:44 AM
  •  

Windows Live One Care (W L O C) is orange and it states my PC's condition is FAIR  and it displays this error message:

"This PC is missing updates from Microsoft and maybe at risk from internet threats......"

But my Microsoft files are upto date.  I go to Microsoft's update page and manually install the file that would not install and I get a message that states the file which  W L O C is trying to install has has been replaced by a newer file.

Also I get the message that I need to back up my PC.    right after I backed it up...  Well   W L O C has about 80 days left on this 90 day trial and if it doesn't learn to fly by then I am going back to McAfee.......

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:32 PM
  • OneCare reports missing updates based on what is available and offered via Windows Update, but has not been installed on your PC. When you visit Windows Update, you should show hidden updates and also review your update history to see if any important/critical updates have been declined or failed to install. If so, that's what OneCare sees. OneCare won't tell you what update is missing, which is not very helpful when you go the WU and see no available updates. OneCare also does not install these updates, relying instead on the fact that you are getting these from Automatic Update. The check occurs in case new updates were released that were not yet downloaded via AU.

I can't explain why you would get a message to run a backup. Did you configure and run backup from OneCare? Did it complete successfully?

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:57 PM