Hosting Website RRS feed

• Question

• With WHS are you able to host your own webpage/website w/out having to pay anything or anybody?
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:39 AM

Answers

• The way you mean, not easily. WHS has a Remote Access feature, and that uses IIS, so it's possible to host a site (or subsite) that way. But it's not deigned to make that task easy. An inexpensive hosting provider will make it much easier to host, and will typically have much more bandwidth available for you to use, than your WHS will.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:43 AM

All replies

• The way you mean, not easily. WHS has a Remote Access feature, and that uses IIS, so it's possible to host a site (or subsite) that way. But it's not deigned to make that task easy. An inexpensive hosting provider will make it much easier to host, and will typically have much more bandwidth available for you to use, than your WHS will.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:43 AM
  •  Sniper167 wrote:
    With WHS are you able to host your on webpage/website w/out having to pay anything or anybody?

Yes, sure, but it depended issue tho as:

Your ISP should allow you to host, in another word, no block issue for the ports WHS need it.

Also, you easily could use your own domian on this (need to registed a domain tho).

My best.

Update: As Ken words above, I did not meant as web services, as ftp/uplink BW issue, that better off with web hosting company, mine suggest regarding normal web page and a like.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Ok thank you...
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:35 AM
  •  

They are all right. But if you still want to host some kind of a  small  webpage maybe a small picture gallery or stuff like that give the WIIST Add In a try...

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist

Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:59 PM
  • There is a new tutorial out on the web.  Just showed up this week.  It is called Whiist Website Construction.  It starts with Andrew Grant's Whiist Add-In.  Mixes in a little free Microsoft web development software and then grabs free code packages called Starter Kits from Microsoft's ASP.NET website.  So it (the tutorial) and everything you need is FREE. Oh, and not a line of coding require.  In fact the guys who wrote it say they don't know how to code.

The tutorial is step-by-step with tons of screenshots.  What you end up with is amazing.  Andrew's Whiist is great but this tutorial builds a full ASP.NET Website with login, automatically machine generated emails, photo albums, a user forum, user polls, etc., etc.

Take a look at http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/

You can look elsewhere on this and other forum's for more info.  There is even an overview out there by one of the authors.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  MountanMan wrote:

There is a new tutorial out on the web.  Just showed up this week.  It is called Whiist Website Construction.  It starts with Andrew Grant's Whiist Add-In.  Mixes in a little free Microsoft web development software and then grabs free code packages called Starter Kits from Microsoft's ASP.NET website.  So it (the tutorial) and everything you need is FREE. Oh, and not a line of coding require.  In fact the guys who wrote it say they don't know how to code.

The tutorial is step-by-step with tons of screenshots.  What you end up with is amazing.  Andrew's Whiist is great but this tutorial builds a full ASP.NET Website with login, automatically machine generated emails, photo albums, a user forum, user polls, etc., etc.

Take a look at http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/

You can look elsewhere on this and other forum's for more info.  There is even an overview out there by one of the authors.

Mountain,

I read a little bit of the pages from your how to link. Pretty cool and step by step.  You can make some nice pages and even host it with a custom domain instead of the www.?????.homeserver.com address. Not necessary, but cool to do if you can learn your way though the entire set up.

Nice link!

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Hi-

I am one of the authors.  ttoomm is the name I use in the guide.

MountainMan and judgeschambers, thank you for the kind remarks.

What fastfoto and I wanted to do is/was write a guide to help others because we struggled so much getting our sites turned up.

MountainMan has described the guide pretty well

* Free Microsoft Express software

* Free Starter Kits with all the website's code

* Free IIS Web Server OS That comes with Windows Home Server already

* Free Guide so others don't have to "bleed" like we did

I would like to add one thing.  Don't let the 7-Part thing scare you away

1. Part 1 is short and just an intro

2. Part 2 is all you need to have a full website

3. Part 3 walks you through changing the color/layout Theme so the site truly becomes your unique website

4. The other parts are added features like

* User Forum

* User Polls

* Animated GIF Banners

* Photo Album

* Favicon

* etc.

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Issaquah Tom,

Thanks for the additional breakdown. I'm sure many of our members will find it usefull. I may jump in and test drive it...

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Hey judgeschambers-

If you do try it, let us know how it goes. 

We are very comfortable that the guide/tutorial is sound because we had someone who'd not done it before go through it an successfully publish the dynamic website on his WHS..

I am asking for feed back because we've had about 2000 downloads but except for two questions 10 days ago, it has been dead silence.  So we're not concerned, just curious.

We did hear from one of the MVP Summit folks that Microsoft is discussing our effort this week in Redmond, but nothing from the folks we wrote this for.

ttoomm

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:06 AM
  • TToomm,

I have to double check, but on my slower WHS box running IIS web server really lagged my machine. I accidently installed it when I set up HomeBase add-in some months ago and had to uninstall it.  Between it and Demigrator.exe running all the time it hit it pretty good. I'll double check my notes on it and the HomeBase thread and report back.

Yes, it is a lot of steps to set up, but looks pretty straight forward. It's just that it may be more than most peeps can do quickly, so it may be some time before you get any real feedback. Also, one must be pretty committed to create a web site on WHS when there are other avanues to host a web site. Personally, I have 5 URL's and sites on a hosted server. I don't need to host one on WHS, but then again I could reduce my annual costs by combing them into one and hosting it on WHS.

Stay tuned....
    Friday, April 18, 2008 11:25 AM
  • judgeschambers-

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything here.  My focus is instead to perhaps assist.

You say IIS slowed your machine way down and you attribute that to a "slower WHS box."  I am wondering if it might have been something else.  I have the slowest box "allowable" under the spec's, bare minimum PIII 1.0 GHz w/768 DIMM.  Mine runs just fine with IIS and three websites.  Are you below minimums?  I know some folks (many folks) did that.  I considered it myself.  The old ASUS board I had spare was a 666mhz but I found a 1.0GHz on ebay for $10.00.

Anyway just curious, again.  Maybe it was something to do with the way HomeBase configured IIS rather than IIS itself.

ttoomm

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:43 PM
  • ttoomm,

No, no. I understand what you are trying to say. I'm interested in it to combine some externally hosted sites. It's just that when I installed the add-in Home Base for mobile phone acces to WHS, I accidently installed the IIS function as Home Base could be used to host a blog site. It seemed ...seemed that IIS was the culpret behind the load on my WHS. But after looking at some notes I made during that time, I determined that it was Demigrator.exe that was and to this day hogging my cpu.

So, I'm going to review your PDF's over the weekend and familurize myself with the set up. I'm familure with HTML and some PHP, so I'm sure I can get this up and running with no problems.

My signature gives the set up info on my WHS. The FSB of the mobo is 266 mhz..

It looks like we are highjacking this thread. I'll start a new one with your site link for users to ask questions about set up.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:34 AM