If the system drive fails, are the contents of my shared folders lost? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that if the system drive fails I loose all my computer backups. That's fine. I still have the real computers, so it's just a matter to install a new drive and reinstall WHS. But, what happens with my Shared Folders? BTW, I have duplication enabled for them.

Thanks in advance,
    Jose
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 9:05 AM

Answers

• If you have duplication enabled this means each file will be stored on more than one physical disk.      A Server reintsallation will reinstall the OS and keep your data and shares intact but you will need to re add users and permissions to the shares as well as reinstall any add-ins.   The process of rebuilding the tombstones will also take some time.  

Check out Ken's FAQ which covers a server reinstallation.   The steps are applicable to a server reinstall.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:14 PM
  • The scenario for drive failure is the same, whatever drive it is that fails. Assuming a standard (i.e. no unsupported registry tweaks outside of the Console, no add-ins that perform those tweaks from inside the console), the failure of a single drive will cause data loss in the following situations:
    • One or more of your shares has duplication turned off, and there are files that reside in that share on the drive that fails.
    • Components of the backup database reside on the drive that fails.
    • Files stored by add-ins outside of the shares, but still within the storage pool (in "application folders"), will be lost if the add-in didn't flag the folder as requiring duplication and the file is on the failed drive.
    Of the three scenarios, only the first is under the control of the end user. The second is "failure by design" for the reason flad stated: the backup database is "backed up" by the PCs that are being backed up into it. The third is also "failure by design" because the add-in creator decided that the data isn't that important.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:11 PM

All replies

• If you have duplication enabled this means each file will be stored on more than one physical disk.      A Server reintsallation will reinstall the OS and keep your data and shares intact but you will need to re add users and permissions to the shares as well as reinstall any add-ins.   The process of rebuilding the tombstones will also take some time.  

Check out Ken's FAQ which covers a server reinstallation.   The steps are applicable to a server reinstall.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:14 PM
  • The scenario for drive failure is the same, whatever drive it is that fails. Assuming a standard (i.e. no unsupported registry tweaks outside of the Console, no add-ins that perform those tweaks from inside the console), the failure of a single drive will cause data loss in the following situations:
    • One or more of your shares has duplication turned off, and there are files that reside in that share on the drive that fails.
    • Components of the backup database reside on the drive that fails.
    • Files stored by add-ins outside of the shares, but still within the storage pool (in "application folders"), will be lost if the add-in didn't flag the folder as requiring duplication and the file is on the failed drive.
    Of the three scenarios, only the first is under the control of the end user. The second is "failure by design" for the reason flad stated: the backup database is "backed up" by the PCs that are being backed up into it. The third is also "failure by design" because the add-in creator decided that the data isn't that important.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:11 PM