Moved Money 2002 from old PC to Laptop running Windows 7. Keeps asking for password. HELP? RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully installed Money 2002 on new laptop running Windows 7.  I have pulled a backup from old PC and tried several attempts to restore.  It keeps asking me for a password.  I did have the file password protected...enter the password and doesn't recognize it.  Definitely entered the correct password.  Went back to the PC and removed the password. Created new backup...back to laptop, try to restore and still wants a password.  Went back to PC and simply copied the file straight from PC to thumb drive.  Put it on laptop went to open file on laptop and still wants a password.  Please help with a solution!!!
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:55 PM

Answers

• Cal, should I remove Money 2002 from my laptop before installing Sunset?

I would, although it would not be required. I am thinking Money Plus would uninstall the older one on its own, unless you told it not to. If you were keeping separate Money 2002 and Money Plus files for some reason, you might want to have both. As it is, I only see potential for confusion by having both.
    • Marked as answer by personep Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:39 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• This probably means that the Money   file was produced by a version of Money that is newer than Money 2002. The solution would be to use a version of Money as new or newer as what produced the file.

Don't dawdle in dealing with this.

If you want  suggestions, identify if you are in the US.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:06 PM
  • I am in the U.S.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Cal, I guess you've done this before....Went back to the PC and sure enough it is Money 2005 Deluxe.   However, I don't have and software for this...don't know where it could be...might be an upgrade online maybe?  What do you suggest?
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Here is the suggestion:

If your file is Money 2004 or later, you can install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. That can use your Money 2004 or later files. When you try to restore or open your existing file, expect Money to make a backup of your file as it existed before conversion. The backup will have an extension corresponding to this table:

*.m16 2007
    *.m15 2006
    *.m14 2005
    *.m12 2004
    *.m11 2003
    *.m10 2002

Knowing the version in this case is mainly to satisfy curiosity.

If your Money file is from Money 2003, you may have to go thru an intermediate step. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us

Read other posts about downloading and using Sunset versions.

Edit: OK. With Money 2005, I suggest you install Sunset. Keep an extra copy of the install file in case you want to reinstall in the future.

Search for "PocketSense" for more good reading.

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:34 PM Adjusted comment to Money 2005 discovery post.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:32 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:13 PM

I would, although it would not be required. I am thinking Money Plus would uninstall the older one on its own, unless you told it not to. If you were keeping separate Money 2002 and Money Plus files for some reason, you might want to have both. As it is, I only see potential for confusion by having both.
    • Marked as answer by personep Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:39 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Thanx Cal....I appreciate the help!!!
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:39 PM