Backup cannot find a drive that Windows Explorer can RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello -

My One Care backup location is currently set to an external LaCie 500MB USB drive (GSmile.  Most nights it seems to work, but occasionally it fails and tells me

Windows Live OneCare coult not find your current backup device: G:\

Please connect the drive and click OK.

If I open Windows Explorer to check the drive, all is fine.  I can browse it, copy files back and forth, etc., but clicking ok on the error box just regenerates the same message.

Any thoughts?  Does OneCare use a different driver or something?

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• When this happens, are you logged onto the PC or have you logged out?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Logged in using my domain account.  Of course, I notice the failure in the morning, so it tried to run in the middle of the night.  In this particular case, I believe I was still logged in all night.

Rebooting did seem to fix the immediate issue, but rebooting often isn't really the solution I am hoping for...

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:31 PM
  • No, I can understand not wanting to reboot to restore the drive for OneCare.

When the problem happens, has the drive perhaps spun down to a sleep state? Is it connected directly or is it connected through a USB hub?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:00 PM
  • It is connected direct to a USB port on the computer, although I cannot attest to the internal wiring.  It is a Dell Precision 670, fairly standard config.

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Rear or front port? Not that this should make a difference...

And, you have a backup plan that performs a nightly backup? And this problem appears to be random? When OneCare fails to find the drive, are you able to access it via Windows Explorer before rebooting?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Rear port.  It appears random, and probably only has happened about 3-4 times so far.  When if fails, I can access the drive just fine from Explorer and other apps without rebooting. 

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:14 PM
  • When you access the drive with Windows Explorer, do you notice if you hear the drive spinning up or is it generally a quiet drive? I'm thinking that the problem may be that the drive is "asleep" and that OneCare can't wake it up, but Windows Explorer can. That is, of course, a stab in the dark, but since it is a random problem, that's the best I can come up with.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:47 PM