Commercial License

Question

• I want to apply for a commercial license to post game plays in youtube what all is required and terms related to it .
    Sunday, January 15, 2017 12:05 PM

All replies

• If you want a commercial license for the Infer.NET library, send email to infersup@microsoft.com.
    Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:03 PM
    Owner
  • Its hard to seriously consider this interesting software due to restrictive licensing.

I am heavy user of MS CNTK which is open source and free for commercial use.

Maybe under the new MS spirit of embracing open source, as embodied by CNTK, this software will also be made more freely available.

For now, maybe the better option is to use Stan (http://mc-stan.org/)  

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Stan is a great tool with many state-of-the-art algorithms for Bayesian statistics. Infer.NET features great and mature inference algorithms as well. With Infer.NET, you can easily build models that can be naturally expressed as factor graphs. You can't do that in Stan. The two frameworks are not direct competitors in my opinion. They have slightly different audiences.

In Stan you can't have discrete random variables. Authors argue that these can be taken care using marginalization but for new users and beginners in Bayesian statistics this is not that easy.

To my knowledge, Infer.NET is the only mature probabilistic programming framework that supports true online learning. That is, you can use the posterior as prior in the next iterations. There are some limitations and technical details but I managed to get that working in my models. This is very useful when data cannot fit in memory. Stan and PyMC3 don't support online learning.

• Edited by usptact Saturday, June 23, 2018 8:32 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 8:30 AM
  • We're working on this. I can't yet promise anything, but would expect to have an update in the next 3-4 months.

-Y-

Monday, June 25, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Infer.NET is now released as open source under the MIT license.
    Friday, October 5, 2018 2:37 PM
    Owner