Hard Drive Failure? RRS feed

• Question

• I started using WHS this weekend with Eval software.  So far I love the software and will definately be purchasing the full version.  I'm currently using a 150GB EIDE system drive and a 200GB SATA data drive.  I have a 120GB drive that I had used for several years to store pictures, music and the like.  Aftering getting WHS setup on the 150 and 200 drives, I shut down the server and installed the 120 drive on the secondary ide channel.  Booted the machine up and the 120 drive show in the drive list.  I preceeded to copy the information (Pictures) from the 120 drive to the server share.  After about 20% the copy failed and the files seem to have vanished.  Some of the file structure is still there but the files don't seem to be.  I know I should have had a backup and is what I was trying to accomplish with WHS.  If it had been anything but my pictures i wouldn't care, but they are from my daughters birth till she is 3.  Can someone please help save my data?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:03 PM

Answers

• Firstly, I would shut the server down, remove the drive, and attach it to a Client to see if it can be seen satisfactorily.

Colin 

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Firstly, I would shut the server down, remove the drive, and attach it to a Client to see if it can be seen satisfactorily.

Colin 

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:16 PM
  • I shut the server down and pulled the drive and attached it to my vista laptop via usb cable.  It recognized the drive and assigned a drive letter but would freeze if i tried to open the drive.  Any other options? Thank you.

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

I am not saying this will work for you, but one time it worked for me.....

I had the same problem, wher a  old drive would work intermittently and then it would freeze and error out. I took it out of the computer and lightly tapped it on the desk on all sides, obvioulsy jarring the innards. I had nothing to lose, at that point. The drive then worked and I quickly transferred all the data off of the drive, backed up the new drive (two good copies) and then threw out the problem drive.

There are also data recovery experts that can take the drive apart and actually remove the platters, reassemble them into a new drive and then extract the data. This can cost mucho $$$ but might just be worth it.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:12 PM
  • If it is a hard drive failure try putting the drive in a ziplock bag and sticking it in your freezer over night...then plug it in and get your data off as quick as you can!..

good luck!

Gene

Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:56 PM