Vail Server Restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to do a server restore using the Server Restore CD, I am loading it on a VM Windows 7 32bit machine and when I run serverrecoverytool.exe I get the following error:  The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running.  Check your computer to see if you need a 32 bit or 64 bit version of the program.

So am I to assume that the server recovery cd only runs on 64 bit OS systems?

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:55 PM

Answers

• Dkissane,

The server can only by 64 bit, and hence the recovery CD also only contains a 64 bit Win PE image. What exactly are you trying to restore by loading it onto a VM? It is only intended to be used to restore the Vail server from a backup taken on external disk.

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:17 PM
  • There will not be any 32 bit version. Vail server can only be on a 64 bit machine. Cheers

-Bodhi 

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• I don't believe the server recovery disk is meant to be used "as is" by end users. I don't see any documentation for it, for one thing.

In any case, it will presently only run on 64 bit systems, not on 32 bit systems.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Dkissane,

The server can only by 64 bit, and hence the recovery CD also only contains a 64 bit Win PE image. What exactly are you trying to restore by loading it onto a VM? It is only intended to be used to restore the Vail server from a backup taken on external disk.

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Bodhi,

I was just trying to restore the Vail server from my external backup as you say, I am running both Vail and some Test Win 7 machines in VM.  I was trying to test how a restore of Vail would go, as an end user.  So perhaps there will be a 32 bit recovery cd later since certainly not all end users will have 64bit machines to use to restore their Vail servers if need be.  I will create a 64bit Win 7 VM machine and try again. Thanks.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:24 PM
  • There will not be any 32 bit version. Vail server can only be on a 64 bit machine. Cheers

-Bodhi 

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I should have noted I was assuming a headless Vail server, one that does not have direct CD drive support.  But maybe that is jumping the gun.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:28 PM
  • OK makes more sense now :-). The headless restore is still not fully implemented in this release. You would be able to run the headless restore from a 32 bit system.
    Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Ah, thanks.  So how do I restore with the current CD image?  It does not seem to be bootable?

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I think the answer is "you don't". "The headless restore is still not fully implemented in this release".
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Let me look into the documentation. There is a command line way to do it, but you will probably need very specific instructions for that. I will follow up.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Bodhi, actually just wondering how to do it the normal way?  I would think you would put the Server Recovery CD in the to be restored Vail server CD drive and boot to it, like you do with the PC recovery CD, is that right?  Problem is, the server recovery CD does not seem to be a bootable CD image.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:10 PM
  • the server recovery DVD that shipped is not bootable.  It is actually a collection of files necessary to build other media and create perform a restore.

the next beta will include a fully built recovery experience for headless and headed devices.

If there is a lot of interest i can release steps on how to perform a bare metal restore or factory reset.

-Paul - MSFT

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:55 AM
  • If there is a lot of interest i can release steps on how to perform a bare metal restore or factory reset.

-Paul - MSFT

Hi Paul,
    I would be very much interested, so any information on this would be welcome!

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:50 PM
  • I would greatly appreciate an actual way i can restore my Vail system.  I switched Motherboards and cannot recover the system to boot up.  It sees all the drives fine but i cannot boot into the server, just into the recovery.  How can i take the restore CD or the Sys recovery cd and please get this up and running again without losing my 4TB server.

topmoo2@hotmail.com

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:35 AM
  • As you have changed motherboards the system backup is probably not going to of much use.

But if you re install the system the actual data storage should be seen as, not sure off the correct term, offline storage which you can promote to the real storage via the dashboard's Computer and Hard Drive tab. I do not know for certain but suspect you will need to uninstall and reload the connector on your workstations.

I have never done a motherboard change but have reloaded onto a new system disk without data loss. All of my  shares were duplicated as per the Vail default.

From the tone your post it sounds as though you may have put all of your data on the Vail server. Make certain that you keep copies of all data that you have copied to the server elsewhere as well. Do not forget this Vail is BETA and the first cut at that. Although performing extremely well, it is always possible that there could have issue which results in data loss.  Once the real WHS V2 is released it will be a re-install from scratchas well so all data will need to be reloaded.

Dave

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Your previous storage should mount to a folder on your server's C: drive. From there you can copy data back into server storage. As you empty drives you can remove them from non-default storage and add them to your main server storage, which will eventually allow you to shuffle all your data back into your server's shares. There's no obvious way to copy backups of home computers, I'm afraid.

I had less than stellar results from my attempt to promote non-default to default storage; I wound up missing a number of shares, some of which never came back. You can try that, but you may not like the results.

And as another poster has mentioned, Vail is in beta right now, and there's an announcement right at the top of this forum emphasizing that using it in a production environment is not supported. Please make sure your data is protected even if your Vail server melts into a puddle of goo overnight.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Paul,

I would be very interested in some rebuild instructions. Had a system disk failure at the weekend and would love to be able to restore the system without doing a full rebuild. The system disk was not part of the storage pool which was a good thing.

The problem is that for media streaming you've made the beta too good :-) so my beta machine had all of my media on it - just the thought of re-creating the system and copy from my backup disks give me the shudders.

Regards,

JohnB

Friday, July 2, 2010 7:52 AM